Orientation sessions  begin on Monday morning and end on Tuesday evening or begin on Thursday morning and end on Friday evening. Students are expected to stay for the duration of their two day orientation program which concludes at 5 pm on Day Two.
Freshmen Summer NSO Activities and Events
You’ll receive a detailed schedule when you arrive. Below is a sample of the activities you’ll attend during your 2 day orientation session:
• 8:30 - 9:30am Check in at the Northeast Residential area on Day One and receive your room assignment.
• Attend your hall meeting where you will get to know people on your floor and the house rules for NSO.
• Participate in the Welcome Meeting and meet your NSO student leaders!
• Go to your College/School Meetings. Learn important details about the academic experience at UMass and hear from the Dean of your college.
• Join student staff and other students in your college at your Small Group Meeting as you prepare for your upcoming advising appointment.
• Complete your Advising and Registration. Register for classes with an academic advisor in your department.
• Attend the Living at UMass Amherst information session and Campus Tours. Learn about your housing options and what it means to live in a campus community.
• Get your UCard.
• Have some fun! Hang out and socialize with your new classmates at a variety of exciting evening activities.
• Participate in student life meetings presented by orientation leaders. These informal sessions cover a variety of topics including how to live on a student budget and find a job, helpful tips for out of state students, and many more.
• Attend dynamic presentations that speak to your responsibilities as a member of our community and the resources available to assist you in managing your health, safety, and well-being as you begin your college experience.
• Finalize your housing preference application in SPIRE.
• Attend the Closing Session!
• 4:30 - 5:30pm Check-out of your hall on Day Two.
Then, have a relaxing summer and get ready for the big adventure that awaits you in September during Fall NSO .
Participate in Your First Community Service Project at UMass Amherst
Bring your old SAT prep books with you to Summer NSO and they will be donated to high school students in the area. Look for collection boxes in your residence hall lobby during NSO check-in and check-out.