UMass is a large community made up of students with a variety of backgrounds and experiences. The New Students Orientation Office wants to help all new students get the support they need to begin a successful undergraduate career at the University. After all, at UMass Amherst we are so much more than students.
Welcome to UMass Amherst! Students admitted for the spring 2020 semester attend a Winter New Students Orientation (NSO) session in January. During your one day Winter NSO session you will take care of the business of becoming a member of the UMass Amherst community including: learning about university academic requirements, meeting with an academic advisor, registering for your spring classes, picking up your UCard (campus ID), and touring your new campus.
More information about Winter NSO will be available in November.
Welcome to Massachusetts! About 25% of our student population is from out of state, and we have a lot of opportunities for you to become acquainted with UMass Amherst, your new home away from home!
During summer orientation and fall weclome, you'll have the opportunity to connect with other students from out of state.
Orientation for international students has two components:
- The first part is completed with New Students Orientation (NSO). NSO is when you will register for your classes, learn about campus values, pick up your UCard, and get ready for your transition from your last school to UMass Amherst. International students can complete NSO in person OR online. Most international students admitted for fall semester complete NSO online. International students admitted for the spring semester usually complete NSO in person, just before the semester starts.
- The second part is done with the International Programs Office (IPO). International students must be on-campus in Amherst to complete the in person International Student Orientation (ISO). The ISO covers immigration requirements, document checks, information on how to study in the US education system, and cultural/safety/health information sessions to help with your transition to the United States.
Registration for both components is managed through NSO. Registration will typically opens in mid-November for students admitted for the spring semester and in April for students students admitted for the fall semester.
Students Entering UMass in Spring 2020
- If you register for online orientation, you will access your course through Moodle starting in mid-December.
- International Student Orientation takes place in January.
Be sure to review these special pages for international students:
- Admitted International Students
- Living at UMass
- International Programs Office, International Student Orientation
- Bursar Payment Guides
The university got its start as an agricultural college and that tradition carries on today with our two-year associate’s degree programs in the Stockbridge School.
If you are entering in the fall, we designate a Summer NSO session to help you get acquainted with your degree requirements and the Stockbridge School staff. Please attend the designated Summer NSO Stockbridge date, which will be designated in the spring.
If you are entering in the spring, you will attend a Winter NSO session as the spring cohort is much smaller.
Thank you for your service. We want to make your transition to UMass as smooth as possible, and that all begins at orientation. Make sure you contact Veteran Services before you arrive on campus for your first semester. You will also have the opportunity to visit them at your orientation session.
If you'll be living on campus during the semester, be sure to file your housing preference application. There are many on and off campus housing options to suit your needs. For more information visit the Residential Life or Veteran Services websites.