Assistant Director of New Students Orientation and Parent Services
The University of Massachusetts Amherst invites applications for the position of Assistant Director of New Students Orientation and Parents Services. The Assistant Director of New Students Orientation and Parent Services supports University efforts to recruit and retain students and to develop parent partnerships; helps to ensure that new students have successful transitions into University life and a clear understanding of related University expectations; and leads the Parent and Family Program. This position reports to the Director of New Students Orientation and Parent Services and involves considerable decision-making where judgment and interpretation are needed on a frequent basis to adapt existing policies and procedures to new situations.
- Bachelor’s degree and at least two years of relevant experience in student affairs or related services, including at least one year of supervisory experience.
- Demonstrated understanding of, and commitment to, the undergraduate student experience at a major research university.
- Excellent organizational, analytical, interpersonal, communication and customer service skills, including the ability to relate to students, parents and families from diverse backgrounds.
- Demonstrated fluency with Excel, Word, Outlook and PowerPoint.
- Ability to develop and implement student success and parent/family support programs and activities.
- Ability to drive, to work flexible hours (including weekends and evenings as needed) and to lift up to 30lbs. without restrictions.
- Ability to establish priorities, manage multiple demands and projects, and meet deadlines in a fast-paced and complex environment.
- Ability to work collaboratively as a member of cross-functional teams.
- Previous experience with a student records database system.
- Fluency in a second language.
- Experience managing large events.
Hiring Salary Range: $41,100 - 51,500
Normal Starting Salary: $41,100 – 46,300
To receive priority consideration, please apply online. Send your letter of interest, resume, and names, addresses, email and phone numbers of three references by the priority deadline of March 14, 2014. Applications will be accepted after the priority deadline until the vacancy is filled.
For more information you can also visit the Parent Services website.
The University of Massachusetts Amherst is an Affirmative Action/Equal Opportunity Employer. Women and members of minority groups are encouraged to apply.
New Students Orientation (NSO) depends on and hires many undergraduate students throughout the year for various jobs. The qualifications for all jobs include:
- Current undergraduate at UMass Amherst in good academic standing
- Successful past work experiences, enthusiasm, and the ability to relate quickly and comfortably to new people
- Knowledge about a variety of residential, academic, and social opportunities at UMass Amherst
- An interest and willingness to work with prospective/new students and their parents
- High levels of energy and stamina
For specific job qualifications, please see each individual job opportunity listed below. Please take note of the application deadline and specific employment timeline for each position listed.
Learn more about the New Students Orientation Leader position.