Registering for Orientation
New Students Orientation (NSO) is a required program for all incoming students. It's designed to help you make a smooth transition to the university and help you prepare for the semester ahead. We offer a variety of orientation sessions prior to each semester.
To be eligible to register for an orientation session, you must pay the enrollment deposit to accept your offer of admission and provide the university with emergency contact information.
If you haven’t already, check your SPIRE Admitted Students page using your NetID and password to confirm that your enrollment deposit has been received. If you still need to pay your enrollment deposit, instructions are available on the Undergraduate Admissions Admitted page. You'll be able to log in two business days after your enrollment deposit is posted to your record.
While you are logged in to SPIRE, go to Campus Profiles > Student Contact Information > Emergency Contact. Provide the name and phone number of at least one emergency contact.
Step 1. Sign Up for NSO
Registration for Winter NSO (students entering Spring 2020) is now closed.
- Students enrolled for the Spring 2020 semester who did not register for orientation should all our office at 413-545-2621 or email us at email@example.com.
Registration for Summer NSO (students entering Fall 2020) opens in April.
Check back for more details about registering for Summer NSO in the spring.
Step 2. Tell Your Family about Parent & Family Orientation
Whether they are sending their first or their fifth student, parents and families also need some help with the transition to UMass Amherst. Our orientation for parents and families is designed to support your family in this transition. Invite your family to learn more about Parent & Family Orientation and encourage them to complete their registration after you’ve signed up for NSO.
Step 3. Get Ready for NSO
New Student Checklist: the student checklist highlights important steps you can take now to get ready for orientation.
Testing: one of the first items on the list is placement testing. Before your NSO session, you may need to take the online math, writing, and/or foreign language placement tests.
Step 4. Attending NSO
During orientation you’ll meet the people and learn about the requirements and resources that will help you make decisions about your first semester at UMass.
1. Orientation for international students has two components. The first part is completed with the New Students Orientation (NSO) office. The second part is done with the International Programs Office (IPO). Registration for both components is managed through NSO. Visit our Just for U: International Students page to learn more.
2. If you require any special services (sign language interpreters, dietary restrictions, etc.) while you are attending orientation, please indicate your needs on the orientation registration form. You can log back into the registration site to make changes to this section any time prior to your orientation session. If you need assistance during the academic year, please complete the Disability Services Student Intake Form.
3. Although a Kosher Meal Plan is offered to students during the academic year, kosher meals are not available during New Students Orientation or Parent & Family Orientation. Vegetarian options are available.
4. Room assignments for overnight NSO sessions (summer only) are made as students check-in for the program using the gender marker (M/F) provided on the student’s admissions application. To change your marker, submit a copy of this form. To request a gender-inclusive/gender-neutral room or for further assistance with orientation room assignments, please call the orientation office at 413-545-2621 and ask for Elizabeth or send an email.