Summer Orientation for Stockbridge Students
Stockbridge summer orientation is a very full two days. While most of the time is spent taking care of the business of becoming a member of the UMass Amherst community, you will also spend time getting to know your new classmates and your new campus.
Requests are processed on a first come, first served basis and only after Admissions posts your enrollment fee as received. Be sure to sign up as soon as possible!
The 2013 Summer NSO Stockbridge Date is:
Your Orientation Schedule Overview
You'll receive a very detailed orientation schedule when you arrive for your session. Below is a preview of what you can expect as a new student.
Orientation begins with a welcome meeting early in the morning. Orientation concludes in the late afternoon the following day.
- Check In: Sign-in and receive your room assignment.
- Hall Meeting: Get the complete scoop on life during orientation.
- Welcome to NSO: Meet the NSO student leaders who'll be guiding you through orientation and learn about the exciting activities we have planned.
- Academic Overview: Academic Deans share important details about academic requirements and opportunities to make the most of the academic experience at UMass.
- College/School Meetings: Learn about your academic niche and hear from the Stockbridge Dean.
- Small Group Academic Meeting: Meet with a student counselor and other students in the Stockbridge School, prepare for your upcoming advising appointment, and find out more about course planning and registration.
- Resource Fair and Information Sessions: Find out about leadership opportunities, banking, campus support services, and ways you can get involved in campus life.
- Residential Life Information Session and Tours: Learn about your options and start thinking about where you want to live.
- Get Your UCard Picture Taken: More than an ID, this is your library card, meal ticket, residence hall key, and if you so choose, an on-campus debit card.
- Evening Seminars: Choose from a variety of sessions about life on campus and how to get involved.
- Entertainment: Meet and mix with your new classmates at a variety of planned events.
- Student Life Meetings: Learn more about student life at UMass Amherst.
- Technology and Safety Session: Tips for making the most of technology at UMass and keeping our campus safe.
- Advising and Registration: Talk to an advisor in your department and register for your fall classes using SPIRE.
- Writing Placement Test: For all students not exempt from English Writing 112.
- Request Your Housing: Submit your housing preference application online.
- Closing Session: Photos, staff performances, UMass Amherst trivia and prizes!
- Check-out: Pick up your UCard and sign out of your hall. Then, have a relaxing summer and get ready for the big adventure that awaits you in September during Fall NSO.