In the wake of a devastating hurricane, the university has placed collection bins around campus seeking donations of toiletries and warm winter clothing for displaced families arriving in Holyoke from Puerto Rico.
The effort is part of the university’s broad outreach to support those affected by the hurricane that struck the island in September. Details are online here.
Items will be collected on campus until the end of November.
Locations for the bins are:
- Furcolo Hub
- Furcolo Welcome Desk
- Memorial Hall
- Center for Counseling and Psychological Health (Bartlett)
- Center for Counseling and Psychological Health (New Africa House)
- Hillel House
- Dean of Students Office (Whitmore)
- Campus Center
- All four dining commons
- Center for Multicultural Advancement and Student Success (Wilder Hall)
- Student Veteran Resource Center (Dickinson Hall)
- Men and Masculinities Center
- Center for Women and Community (New Africa House)
- Student Union (Student Engagement)
- UMass Police Department
- Skinner Hall
These are the items that Holyoke Public Schools has requested for arriving families. Please follow this list:
- Toiletries for children and families (toothpaste, toothbrushes, soap, deodorant, shampoo, conditioner, hairbrushes, feminine hygiene products)
- Warm winter clothing, particularly layers, for children – cotton undershirts, sweatshirts (prefer no hoodies), thermal underwear, fleece leggings
- Shoes and boots for fall and winter weather
- New socks and underwear for all ages of children
- New or gently used winter coats for children and adults
- Winter accessories – hats, gloves, mittens, scarves – for children and adults
- Spanish/English dictionaries
The university will be organizing a volunteer day in Holyoke to help distribute collected goods to families. Details will be announced later.