AMHERST, Mass. – University of Massachusetts Amherst students are appealing to area residents for supplies and financial donations to assist victims of the Aug. 15 earthquake in Peru.
The 7.9 magnitude quake killed more than 500 people, injured more than 1,000 and displaced hundreds of thousands of residents of southern Peru. According to UMass Amherst graduate student Luis Valdiviezo, the survivors must still contend with aftershocks as well as the destruction of basic infrastructure like water and electricity. Food and medical supplies are needed along with disaster assistance.
Donations of blankets, clothes and non-perishable foods can be made at the following locations:
• Newman Center, 472 North Pleasant St., Amherst, (549-0300)
• North Village Apartments laundry, UMass Amherst, 990 North Pleasant St.
• Lincoln Apartments laundry, Building #1, UMass Amherst
• Peruvian Consulate General, 250D Main St., Hartford, Conn. (860/548-0337)
Financial contributions can be made to the following organizations and agencies:
• American Red Cross, (800/842-2200)
• Lundu, Center for Afro-Peruvian Promotion
Scotiabank, account in dollars #2082548
Codigo: SWIFT BSUDPEPL
• Medicos del Mundo
• Save the Children
• Peruvian Consulate, Boston, (617/338-2227)
Sovereign Bank, account #61800119150
• Afro-Peruvian Commission Aid
Banco de Credito, account in dollars
• Oxfam America