AMHERST, Mass. – Eleven seniors will be presented with 21st Century Leaders awards during the 138th Commencement of the University of Massachusetts Amherst on Saturday, May 24 in Warren P. McGuirk Alumni Stadium.
The awards are designed to recognize students who are academically accomplished and who have contributed to the university through exceptional achievement or have enhanced the reputation of the campus. The recipients are nominated by faculty for strong leadership qualities; noteworthy original research, community service, the achievement of success by overcoming extraordinary personal circumstances, or public presentation through art, performance or athletic ability.
This is the sixth year the awards have been given. The awards are sponsored by the Chancellor’s Office and the UMass Amherst Alumni Association. “The presentation of these awards during the undergraduate Commencement helps focus the ceremony on the accomplishments of students,” says Thomas W. Cole Jr., interim chancellor. “The awards also bring deserved recognition to the families who have supported this group of excellent students.”
This year’s recipients are:
• Anna Marie BuAbbud, a psychology-neuroscience major, from Shrewsbury, Mass.
• John P. Barrett, a physics and mathematics major, from Townsend, Mass.
• Benjamin Clemenzi-Allen, an English major, from Belchertown, Mass.
• Ryan Walter Durkin, a finance and management major, from Andover, Mass.
• Dawn Eriksen, a chemical engineering and biochemistry major, from Tyngsboro, Mass.
• Kate L. Fontaine, a history and legal studies major, from Wilbraham, Mass.
• Katie Huston, a journalism major, from Royal Oak, Mich.
• Rachel Mandel, an anthropology and Bachelor’s Degree with Individual Concentration (BDIC) major, from Brewster, Mass.
• Brooke E. Naylor, an operations management major, from Wakefield, Mass.
• Amanda Woolley, a music education major, from Point Pleasant, N.J.
• Adam P. Zinkievich, an English major, from Athol, Mass.
The recipients will receive a plaque and a monetary award from the UMass Amherst Alumni Association.