AMHERST, Mass. - The University of Massachusetts Homecoming Festival Weekend – an annual celebration incorporating Homecoming and the UMass Festival–takes place Oct. 23-24 on campus.
An outgrowth of 1996’s kick-off of Campaign UMass – the comprehensive campaign to secure resources, engage advocates, and strengthen the University’s image – this weekend-long event will feature a number of activities to honor alumni and celebrate the University. Highlights include the naming of the Eugene M. Isenberg School of Management and the launching of the new Center for Nutrition in Sport and Human Performance. Also featured is a talk by UMass alumnus Jack Canfield, co-author of the best-selling "Chicken Soup for the Soul" series. A partial schedule of events follows. All events are free and open to the public unless otherwise stated.
Friday, October 23
An array of activities spotlighting campus programs and departments. Highlights include:
* "Eat and Run: Mini-conference" – A conference to launch the new Center for Nutrition in Sport and Human Performance. Internationally known speakers in sport nutrition will provide information on eating for an active lifestyle, using the latest supplements and improving health through proper exercise and diet. 8:30 a.m. - noon. Mullins Center. Free and open to all alumni. Contact Cindy Hardy at 413/545-1669.
* The naming of the Eugene M. Isenberg School of Management. 9 a.m. School of Management Building, followed by a reception and open house at the same location from 10 a.m. to noon.
* "The Big Lunch" – Students, faculty, staff, and alumni are invited to a festival of food from around the world along with student performances of international music and dance. 11:30 a.m. Library Lawn, Campus Pond.
* A convocation celebrating distinguished faculty and alumni. The keynote speaker will be Jack Canfield, ’72G, co-author of the "Chicken Soup for the Soul" series. 2 - 3 p.m. Bowker Auditorium. (Canfield will also be signing books at the University Store on campus, Thursday, Oct. 22, 3 - 5 p.m.)
* College of Engineering Rededication Celebration. 4:30 - 6 p.m. Gunness Engineering Student Center.
* The 24th Annual Multibands Pops: A student concert spanning a broad range of musical styles and time periods. 8 p.m. Fine Arts Center. $15. Call Fine Arts Center Box Office at 545-2511. A post concert celebration featuring current band members and band alumni will follow at 10 p.m. in the Student Union Ballroom.
Saturday, October 24
* Homecoming ’98 parade through town to Alumni Stadium. (Starts at Robsham Visitors Center.) 11 a.m.
* UMass Homecoming Park – Special activities and entertainment for the whole family. 10 a.m. - 12:45 p.m. Warren P. McGuirk Alumni Stadium, E parking lot.
* UMass football vs. Villanova: 1 p.m. Alumni stadium. Ticket prices vary. Call UMass Athletics. 545-0810.
* Mystery Dinner Theater – Alumni and the campus community are invited to a dinner and mystery theater performance. 7 p.m. Campus Center. For ticket information call 1/800-456-UMASS or 545-2317.