UMass Amherst Distinguished Alumni Awards To Be Presented at Statehouse Ceremony April 16
Amherst, Mass. ─ The University of Massachusetts Amherst Alumni Association has announced its 2009 Distinguished Alumni Award recipients, whose accomplishments will be recognized at an awards luncheon at the State House in Boston on April 16. University of Massachusetts President Jack Wilson and UMass Amherst Chancellor Robert C. Holub will address those in attendance prior to the awards presentation.
Those being honored include:
* For the Distinguished Alumni Awards, Edward M. Fouhy ’56, media consultant; Margaret Jablonski ’81,’84 M.Ed, vice chancellor for student affairs at the University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill.
* For the Distinguished Alumni Service Award, Michael Foley ’72, assistant professor of medicine at Tufts University School of Medicine and a practitioner of gastroenterology at St. Elizabeth''s Medical Center of Boston.
* For the Distinguished Young Alumni Award, Carmina Fernandes ’99, attorney at law.
* For the Distinguished Faculty Award, Ting-wei Tang, UMass Amherst professor emeritus.
* For the Distinguished Honorary Alumni Award, Joseph G. Gavin, Jr., retired director of Grumman Aerospace Corporation.
The Distinguished Alumni Award is the highest honor bestowed by the UMass Amherst Alumni Association on alumni, faculty and friends. Recipients of this award have translated their UMass Amherst experience into distinguished achievement in the public, business or professional realms and bring honor to UMass Amherst and to their field of endeavor. The UMass Amherst Alumni Association recognizes distinguished alumni annually at the Massachusetts State House in Boston.