AMHERST, Mass. – Students returning to the campus of the University of Massachusetts Amherst begin moving in Sept. 4, start classes on Sept. 7, and will be greeted with a full week of activities.
First Week 2005 will include an appearance by comedian and political commentator Mo Rocca at the Curry Hicks Cage on Sept. 9, and for the second year in a row a special shopping trip to the Hampshire Mall as part of Minuteman Mall Mania will be on Sept. 8 from 10 p.m. to 1 a.m. There will also be block parties in downtown Amherst on Sept. 9 and 10, and a barbecue for students before the first home football game on Sept. 17 against Albany under the lights at McGuirk Alumni Stadium.
There will also be movies, musical events, a beach party by the campus pond, a late night brunch and a cookout for the Class of 2009.
Members of the news media who want to cover First Week events, including the Minuteman Mall Mania event, should contact the UMass Office of News and Information at 413/545-0444.
A partial list of First Week 2005 events follows.
For a complete listing go to www.umass.edu/firstweek
Sunday, Sept. 4
* First year students move in.
* 10:30 a.m. - 8/9 p.m., free meals for families at all dining commons.
* 9-11 p.m., Jammin In the Halls, a night filled with music! Take a tour around campus and enjoy a different beat in each location.
Monday, Sept. 5
* Returning students move in.
* All day, free meals for families at all dining commons.
* 1-3 p.m., Afternoon Cool Down at the Mullins Center, free ice skating.
* 5-8 p.m., Class of 2009 Barbecue on the library lawn.
Tuesday, Sept 6
* Registration Day.
* 12-4 p.m., Beach Party by the Pond on the library lawn.
Wednesday, Sept. 7
* First day of classes.
* 11a.m.-3p.m., Campus Carnival and Activities Expo on the library lawn.
Thursday, Sept. 8
* 6 p.m.-midnight, New England Champions Night at the Bluewall Coffeehouse where the Campus Center and Auxiliary Services invites students to watch the Red Sox and the Patriots.
* 10 p.m.-1 a.m., Minuteman Mall Mania at the Hampshire Mall, open exclusively for UMass Amherst students.
Friday, Sept. 9
* 2 p.m. to Saturday, Sept. 10, 7 p.m., Amherst Downtown Block Party. Catch the Green Downtown Trolley as it shuttles from UMass Amherst to Downtown Amherst.
* 7-10 p.m., The Big Game by the Pond: Red Sox & Yankees, on the library lawn.
* 10 p.m., Comedy in the Cage with Mo Rocca at Curry Hicks Cage. Comedian and political commentator Mo Rocca will entertain.
Saturday, Sept. 10
* 7:30 a.m.-1 p.m., Amherst Farmers Market, Spring Street Street Parking Lot.
Locally grown fruits and vegetables plus home-made baked goods.
* 10 a.m.-Sunday, Sept. 11, 6 p.m., ArtShow Amherst, Downtown Amherst.
Sunday, Sept. 11
* Noon. Sept. 11th Remembrance, chapel bells will toll in remembrance of September 11, 2001.
Saturday, Sept. 17
* 4-6 p.m., Students First Barbecue, at the Dallas Mall near the football stadium. Student Affairs and Campus Life helps kick off the football season by having a day dedicated to students.