AMHERST, Mass. – Students returning to the campus of the University of Massachusetts Amherst will begin moving into residence halls on Sunday, Sept. 3, with classes set to start Sept. 6. The students will be greeted with a full week of activities.
First Week 2006 includes a performance by television star and comedian Bob Saget on Friday, Sept. 8 starting at 8 p.m. in the Curry Hicks Cage as well as Minuteman Mall Mania, an after-hours opportunity for students to visit Hampshire Mall on Wednesday, Sept. 6 from 10 p.m. to 1 a.m. There is a Labor Day barbecue for students Monday, Sept. 4 on the lawn near the W.E.B. Du Bois Library from 4 to 7 p.m., and an open house to learn about the Learning Commons at the library on Sept. 5.
Other activities include outdoor movies and a late-night brunch Sept. 7 at all campus dining commons, and events in downtown Amherst including trolley rides and a welcome event on the Town Common on Sept. 9 and an art show Sept. 10. There will also be a memorial service Sept. 11 featuring ringing of the bells in the Old Chapel.
Members of the news media who want to cover First Week events, including Minuteman Mall Mania, should contact the UMass Amherst Office of News and Information at 413/545-0444.
Here is a partial list of First Week 2006 events. For a complete list go to www.umass.edu/firstweek.
SUNDAY, Sept. 3
• First-year students move in, residence halls open at 10 a.m.
• 9-11 p.m., Jammin’ in the Halls, a night of free music. Tour campus and enjoy a different genre of music in each location.
MONDAY, Sept. 4
• Returning students move in, residence halls open at 10 a.m.
• Free meals for families at all dining commons, all day.
• 4-7 p.m., Welcome Class of 2010 Barbecue, library lawn.
TUESDAY, Sept. 5
• Registration Day – Academic Success Day
• 1-4 p.m. Learning Commons open house, W.E.B Du Bois Library lower level.
• Big-screen game: 7-10 p.m., Red Sox vs. White Sox outside on the library lawn.
WEDNESDAY, Sept. 6
• First day of classes.
• 11 a.m.-3 p.m., Campus Carnival and Activities Expo, library lawn.
• 10 p.m.-1 a.m., Minuteman Mall Mania, Hampshire Mall.
THURSDAY, Sept. 7
• 8 p.m., Back to the Big Screen Double Feature, library lawn.
• 9 p.m.-midnight, Late Night Brunch, all dining commons.
FRIDAY, Sept. 8
• 8 p.m., Bob Saget, “This is not ‘Full House,’” Curry Hicks Cage.
Tickets are $5 for UMass Amherst students. UMass ID needed to purchase the ticket and gain entry to the event.
SATURDAY, Sept. 9
• All afternoon, trolley rides to Amherst.
• 4-9 p.m., Welcome students, Amherst Town Common.
MONDAY, Sept. 11
• September 11th Memorial Service, ringing of the bells in the Old Chapel at 8:46, 9:03, 9:45 and 10:10 a.m.