AMHERST, Mass. - The following is a list of key dates related to the first week of the Fall 2001 semester at the University of Massachusetts:
* Sun., Sept. 2, 10 a.m.-9 p.m. - Opening Day. Residence halls open to new students, with arrivals staggered to prevent traffic tie-ups. Hampshire, Berkshire, Franklin, and Worcester dining commons open for lunch and dinner, with complimentary lunch for family members. Special driving/parking regulations will be posted.
* Sun., Sept. 2, 8-9 p.m. - New Students Convocation at the Mullins Center, followed by student entertainment and activities at the Campus Center.
* Mon., Sept. 3, 10 a.m.-9 p.m. - Residence halls open to returning students.
* Mon., Sept. 3 - Fri. Sept. 7 - Student information fair at the Campus Center, including campus tours, bus tours, club/activity information.
The Office of the Dean of Students, along with representatives from Financial Aid Services, the Bursar''s Office, the Registrar''s Office, and the Housing Assignment Office will be available throughout the week to assist students and their families.
According to Paul Vasconcellos, assistant dean of students, "We have a committee that works all year to fine-tune Opening Week, when almost 11,000 students move into residence halls and more than 23,000 start classes, some for the first time."
* Tues., Sept. 4 - Registration Day. Regular parking rules go into effect. Last day to check in for residence hall assignment. New-student orientation for those who did not attend summer programs. Placement testing.
* Wed. Sept. 5 - First day of classes.