*** MEDIA ADVISORY ***
DATE: Saturday, Sept. 15, 2012
TIME: 11 a.m.to 2 p.m.
PLACE: Various sites around Amherst and Northampton
More than 100 UMass Amherst student volunteers will pitch in at 10 service locations throughout Amherst and into Northampton. Working in partnership with town departments, groups of students will take part in projects ranging from planting trees and cleaning up playgrounds, to assembling “emergency grab and go” bags for senior citizens. Organized by the Student Government Association and the External Relations and University Events office, UMass UMake a Difference is a day dedicated to giving back to the community.
The service day will kick off with a brief speaking program at the Fine Arts Center plaza at 10:30 a.m. Chancellor Kumble Subbaswamy, Amherst Town Manager John Musante and SGA President Akshay Kapoor will address the volunteers. Student volunteers will then fan out across Amherst to their service sites from 11 a.m. to 2 p.m.
Service projects and locations:
- Pick up debris, weed and spread mulch at playgrounds so children can have safe, clean fun. Mill River Recreation Area, Groff Park and War Memorial Park
- Tree and daffodil bulb planting across from Jones Library, parking garage area, and west side of North Pleasant St. between High Horse and Kellogg St. traffic light
- Trail clearing and maintenance (near or at Puffer’s Pond)
- Assemble “emergency grab and go” bags for senior citizens with Seniors and Law Enforcement Together group, Bangs Community Center
- Gardening project, Jones Library, Amity St.
- Bike path maintenance, Manhan Rail Trail, Roundhouse parking lot, Northampton