The Minor in Music is an option for focused music study while majoring in another subject. The emphasis is on performance on your instrument/voice, and an audition is required for acceptance into the program. The Minor can be focused on either classical or jazz studies.
Ensembles (conducted), 4 semesters/4 credits
Applied Lessons, 4 semesters/8 credits
Theory I (MUS 112, Fall only), 1 semester/3 credits
Aural Skills I (MUS 114, Fall only), 1 semester/1 credit
Music Literature (MUS 101, Fall or Spring), 1 semester/4 credits
Elective (at least 3 credits) to be chosen from the following list:
- ARTS-EXT 500 Introduction to Arts Management (3)
- ARTS-EXT 391A Foundations in Arts Entrepreneurship (3)
- MUS 102 African American Music & Jazz (4-AT, U)
- MUS 113 Music Theory II (3)
- MUS 160 American Popular Music (4-AT)
- MUS 170 or 170H Film Music (4-AT)
- MUS 195J Jazz Improv I (2) / MUS 195K Jazz Improv II (2)
- MUS 295J History of Jazz (Major) (3)
- MUS 300 Music History (3-prerequisite: MUS 101)
- MUS 301 Music History II (3-prerequisite: MUS 101)
- MUS 290W: World Music (4-AT, G)
- MUS 190M Culture, Society, & the Broadway Musical (4-AT, U)
- Any courses approved by the Undergraduate Program Committee
Total number of credits: 23-24
- Jazz minor may substitute MUS 102, MUS 103 or MUS 295J for MUS 101.
- Independent studies, practica, or ensembles may not be substituted for electives.
- No Pass/Fail courses