Music Admissions: Undergraduate
Acceptance into the Music Program requires both a successful audition and academic acceptance by the University. Music majors work toward either a Bachelor of Music degree (BM) or a Bachelor of Arts in Music degree (BA). Students may also minor in music.
High school seniors, college transfer students, and current UMass Amherst students are accepted into the music program (as music majors or minors) on the basis of auditions which are held on campus. Incoming students (new freshman and transfers) must additionally meet the University Admission standards.
Music Audition Days for Fall 2020 entry:
All Instruments & Voice (except Strings):
Saturday, January 25, 2020 (No clarinet, flute or classical saxophone)
Saturday, February 1, 2020 (No percussion or undergrad saxophone)
Saturday, February 8, 2020
Violin, Viola, Cello, Double bass only:
Monday, February 10, 2020
Wednesday, February 19, 2020
Click to view String Studies at UMass video >
Click here for audition requirements by instrument.
Admissions Process and Audition Sign-ups - Three Steps!
Step #1: Apply to UMass Amherst (students already enrolled at UMass can skip this step)
- Prospective students must apply to UMass prior to auditioning for the Music Program.
- Incoming freshman and transfer students can learn about the UMass application process here.
Step #2: Submit an Audition Request Form
- To sign up for an audition, complete and submit an Audition Request Form (click to start!). In doing so, students will note their audition instrument, musical background, intended music degree track, and preferred audition date.
- For incoming students, it is recommended (but not required) to have completely filed the application to UMass (including supporting documents) before signing up for an audition.
- Please submit the Audition Request Form no later than three weeks prior to the preferred audition date (e.g. students who wish to audition on Jan. 25 should have their form submitted by Jan. 4).
- If there are no more available slots for the preferred date, the student will be notified immediately by the Director of Music Admissions and asked to select an alternate date.
- Student admissibility to UMass may not be determined by the date of the audition. All decisions regarding admissibility to the University are through the central admissions office.
Step #3: Audition!
- Students who submitted an Audition Request Form will be notified of their audition time three weeks prior to their preferred audition date (no sooner!).
- One week prior to the scheduled audition day, students will be sent an e-mail containing information about the schedule of the day, parking maps, etc.
- If students need/want to cancel or move the audition, please e-mail the Music Admissions Director no later than one week before your scheduled date. It is a discourtesy to faculty and other auditioning students to do so at the last minute or to not show up at all without notice.
- If unable to attend any of the audition days, a student may elect to do a Special Arrangement audition. Learn more about that process here.
Click to download an easy-to-print pdf packet reiterating these steps as well as further details about the audition days and application information for UMass Amherst.
SUMMARY OF DEADLINES, 2019-20 Admissions Cycle
October 1, 2019 - Application deadline for spring 2020 entry (freshman and transfer students).
November 5, 2019 - Early Action deadline for University applications for fall 2020 entry.
January 15, 2020 - Regular Decision deadline for University applications for fall 2020 entry.
February 29, 2020 - Final day for incoming freshman music major auditions by Special Arrangement, including video and recorded auditions.
April 15, 2020 - Deadline for transfer student applications & credentials for fall 2020 entry.
May 1, 2020 - Candidate reply date for incoming freshman.
May 1, 2020 - Final audition date for minors and transfer applicants for fall 2020 entry.
June 1, 2020 - Candidate reply date for transfer students.
SPECIAL ARRANGEMENT AUDITIONS & VIDEO/RECORDED AUDITION POLICY
If students have unavoidable conflicts with the scheduled audition dates, or are auditioning for spring 2020 semester entry, they may contact the appropriate faculty member to request a Special Arrangement audition. Students must indicate this option on their Music Application / Audition Request Form. Please note that all auditions for fall 2020 entry incoming freshman music majors must be completed by March 1.
Live auditions are required for all students; video recorded or streamed auditions are only accepted under exceptional circumstances. Learn more about the policies on Special Arrangement and Recorded/Streaming auditions here.
SCHOLARSHIP AND CONTACT INFORMATION
All incoming freshman music major students who are accepted into the Music Program are considered for special Department scholarships upon recommendation by the studio faculty and selection by a committee. These scholarships are separate from, and in addition to, University funding. Only students who audition by the March 1, 2020 deadline are eligible for recommendation and consideration.
There is no separate application for music scholarships. Music minors and transfer students are not normally considered for Department scholarships.
For questions about the Music Audition process or the Music Program in general, or to arrange a Department visit, please contact the Music Admissions Office, Nathaniel Gowen, Director: firstname.lastname@example.org, (413) 545-6048.
The University of Massachusetts Amherst prohibits discrimination on the basis of race, color, religion, creed, sex, sexual orientation, age, marital status, national origin, mental or physical disability, or veteran status, in any aspect of the admission or treatment of students or in employment.
SPECIAL EVENTS FOR PROSPECTIVE STUDENTS
Saturday, Oct. 5, 2019: Voice Area Open House & Mock Auditions
Thurs/Fri, Oct. 17 & 18, 2019: Multiband Pops Concerts (10am schools only concerts, plus 10/18, 7:30pm public concert)
Saturday, Nov. 2, 2019: Band Day, McGuirk Stadium
Saturday, Nov. 9, 2019: Western Mass. Flute Festival
Sunday, Feb. 2, 2020: Clarinet Day
Saturday, Feb. 15, 2020: Honor Band Festival & Concert
Saturday, Mar. 28, 2020: Saxophone Festival
Saturday, April 4, 2020: High School Jazz Festival