Music Admissions: Undergraduate
Acceptance into the Music Program requires academic acceptance by the University in addition to a successful audition or supplemental materials. Music majors work toward either a Bachelor of Music degree (BM) or a Bachelor of Arts in Music degree (BA). Students may also minor in music.
High school seniors, college transfer students, and current UMass Amherst students are accepted into the music program (as music majors or minors) on the basis of auditions (or appropriate supplemental material). Incoming students (new freshman and transfers) must additionally meet the University Admission standards.
Music Audition Days
As of August 1st, 2020, Music Audition Days for Fall 2021 entry are CANCELLED until further notice due to the ongoing concerns of the COVID-19 pandemic. Students will instead submit auditions online or have a live 'Special Arrangement' audition with the faculty, assuming both parties are comfortable with meeting in-person with appropriate precautions including social distancing and non-enclosed environments. Updates or changes to this policy will appear here.
Learn about Music Admission Director Nate Gowen's virtual office hours during the 2020-2021 Admissions cycle (on Visit Us page)
Contact Nate via email or phone: (413) 545-6048
Click here for audition requirements by instrument.
Admissions Process and Audition Sign-ups - Three Steps!
Step #1: Apply to UMass Amherst (students already enrolled at UMass can skip this step)
- Prospective students must apply to UMass prior to auditioning for the Music Program.
- Incoming freshman and transfer students can learn about the UMass application process here.
Step #2: Submit an Audition Request Form
- To sign up for an audition, complete and submit an Audition Request Form (click to start!). In doing so, students will note their audition instrument, musical background, intended music degree track, and preferred audition method.
- For incoming students, it is recommended (but not required) to have completely filed the application to UMass (including supporting documents) before signing up for an audition.
- UPDATE for 2021 Entry: The priority deadline for all Audition Request Forms is February 1, 2021. Please note that any remote auditions that require videos must be submitted with the Audition Request Form.
- Please check the audition requirements for your instrument before submitting the Audition Request Form. Some studios require video submissions and you will need to submit a video link in the form.
- NEW for 2020-2021: The Music Theory and Music History areas of emphasis in the Bachelor of Arts in Music degree do not require an audition for entry. Please see the Bachelor of Arts in Music page for more information about required materials for these programs.
- Student admissibility to UMass may not be determined by the date of the audition. All decisions regarding admissibility to the University are through the central Admissions office.
Step #3: Audition!
- For Fall 2021 admission, students have the option of submitting an audition remotely (whether by video recording or live stream) or make a Special Arrangement audition in person (provided both parties are comfortable meeting live).
- All materials related to auditioning (including Zoom interviews) must be complete by February 28th. Please note that video submissions should be submitted with the Audition Request Form by the priority deadline of February 1st. Form and video submissions after February 1st could jeopardize a student's ability to complete any required follow-up with the music faculty.
SUMMARY OF DEADLINES, 2020-21 Undergraduate Admissions Cycle
October 1, 2020 - Application deadline for spring 2021 entry (freshman and transfer students).
November 5, 2020 - Early Action deadline for University applications for fall 2021 entry.
January 15, 2021 - Regular Decision deadline for University applications for fall 2021 entry.
NEW: February 1, 2021 - Priority deadline for all Audition Request Forms. Please note that videos required for remote auditions should be submitted with the Audition Request Form.
February 28, 2021 - Final day for incoming freshman music major auditions by Special Arrangement, including video and recorded auditions.
April 15, 2021 - Deadline for transfer student applications & credentials for fall 2021 entry.
May 1, 2021 - Candidate reply date for incoming freshman.
May 1, 2021 - Final day for transfer and music minor auditions by Special Arrangement, including video and recorded auditions, for fall 2021 entry.
June 1, 2021 - Candidate reply date for transfer students.
SCHOLARSHIP AND CONTACT INFORMATION
All incoming freshman music major students who are accepted into the Music Program are considered for special Department scholarships upon recommendation by the studio faculty and selection by a committee. These scholarships are separate from, and in addition to, University funding. Only students who audition by the February 28, 2021 deadline are eligible for recommendation and consideration.
There is no separate application for music scholarships. Music minors and transfer students are not normally considered for Department scholarships.
For questions about the Music Audition process or the Music Program in general, or to arrange a Department visit (Fall 2020, via online platform only), please contact the Music Admissions Office, Nathaniel Gowen, Director: email@example.com, (413) 545-6048.
Learn about Nate's virtual office hours during the 2020-21 Admissions cycle
The University of Massachusetts Amherst prohibits discrimination on the basis of race, color, religion, creed, sex, sexual orientation, age, marital status, national origin, mental or physical disability, or veteran status, in any aspect of the admission or treatment of students or in employment.