Dance Science Symposium 2020
University of Massachusetts Amherst
College of Humanities & Fine Arts
Department of Music & Dance
Call for Abstracts
Abstract submission deadline: Friday, November 29th, 2019 by 11:59PM ET
The 2020 Dance Science Symposium will be held at the University of Massachusetts Amherst
on Saturday, April 4th, 2020, 1:00 - 4:30pm.
About the Symposium
The Dance Science Symposium is an annual meeting that aims to bring together dancers and dance scientists to discuss critical and emerging research within the field of dance science and medicine. Grounded in the premise that science is not separate from art, the symposium features original research conducted by professional dancers who are simultaneously active in the field of dance science and medicine. The panel of speakers will reflect diversity in praxis and theory with respect to their dance training and performance histories, as well as in their respective areas of scientific inquiry and expertise. Presentations will address pertinent questions related to dance training and performance in research, as well as illustrate novel applications of dance-based practices or interventions in community contexts and/or clinical populations. The symposium will culminate in a panel discussion on the current state of research in dance science and medicine, with space for musings and insights as they relate to the next steps and evolutions for research in dance.
Each presentation in the symposium will be a maximum of 40 minutes long. Additional presentation information will be sent to the final cohort of presenters selected for the Dance Science Symposium 2020. Abstract decision notifications will be emailed by Tuesday, December 17, 2019.
- Browse to the following link: https://forms.gle/a9Hgr27r3zTR14qXA
- Provide name, contact information, and institutional affiliation(s)
- Submit a brief statement (~500 words) that describes your line of dance science research
- Propose a provisional title, topic, and key takeaways for your presentation
- Share up to nine (9), excerpts from your curriculum vitae that show examples of recent conference presentations; peer-reviewed manuscripts, theses, or lay articles; and embodied scholarship (i.e., dance performance, making, and teaching)
- Complete payment of the abstract submission fee (Students: $15; Professionals: $25) at the following link: https://quikpayasp.com/umass/commerce_manager/payer.do?orderType=Dance_01
After submitting your abstract, a confirmation email will be sent to the address you provided. You may use the link included within the email to revise your submission at any time until the deadline. Only complete abstract submissions will be considered.
Please direct any questions about Dance Science Symposium 2020 abstract submissions to email@example.com (LAB:SYNC—Laboratory for the Scientific Study of Dance) with 'DSS2020' and your last name in the subject line (e.g., ‘DSS2020_LastName Abstract’).
The Dance Science Symposium 2020 is hosted by LAB:SYNC (Director, Dr. Aston K. McCullough, Assistant Professor of Dance Science) and the Program in Dance (Director, Thomas Vacanti, Associate Professor of Dance) of the Department of Music & Dance, College of Humanities & Fine Arts, UMass Amherst.
Last year's Inaugural Symposium: