MDL Chime (CHemical MIME) is a freeware
MDL Information Systems, Inc.
by Tim Maffett,
Bryan van Vliet, Franklin Adler, Jean Holt, Bob Dickey, and others.
- 1992-present: Kinemages by David Richardson. Excellent for
presentations and toggling between alternate conformations.
- 1993-96: RasMol by Roger Sayle:
ideal for self-directed exploration, but inadequate
- 1996: Chime 1, a Netscape plugin derived from RasMol,
provides web delivery and controls enabling powerful presentations.
- 1998: Chime 2 added many powerful features, including
spectra, an expanded menu,
surfaces, and enables a RasMol-like interface on the web:
- 1999: Protein Explorer 1.0 (Protein Data Bank)
- 2000, 2001: Incremental improvements in Protein Explorer
- 2002 - Protein Explorer 1.982 Beta (Internet Explorer compatible)
- 2003 - Protein Explorer 2.x Alpha ("Features" control panel, Popup Site Map)