Saving your First MolSlide
Protein Explorer Workshop
Make a Personal MolSlides Folder
For further information, please see MolSlides.Org.
- Open My Computer, go to the class filespace.
- Create a new directory (folder) with your name. This is your
personal MolSlides Folder.
Start Downloaded PE
[Alternatively, you may use PE on-line. Make sure you go to
PE 2.76 from proteinexplorer.org.]
- Open My Computer, find Protein Explorer 2.76 Alpha
- Drag PE Startup and drop it on Firefox.
- Bookmarks, Bookmark this page.
Save Your Molecule (PDB file) into MolSlides Folder
- Display molecule of interest in PE (enter PDB ID code at FrontDoor).
- Click on MDL (opens Chime's menu): File, Save Molecule As.
- Give file a name like 1d66.pdb, not like pdb1d66.ent.
- Save the PDB file into your personal MolSlides Folder.
Load the Saved PDB File via Empty PE
[If you are using PE on-line, skip this. Keep the molecule
- At the PE FrontDoor, start Empty Explorer.
- At PE's Load Molecule control panel, Browse to your PDB file in your personal MolSlides Folder.
- Load the PDB file.
Add a MolSlide(s)
- Use PE to get a molecular view that you want to save.
- Click Save This View.. (below the message box).
- Click Add a MolSlide.
- Optionally, use the MolSlide Manager to add text, etc.
[Molecular views will display more slowly in the MolSlide
Manager if you are using PE on-line, because the PDB files
have to load from the server each time.]
Save Your MolSlide(s)
- Click Export to Save.
- Use Chime.
- Save via Bioinformatics.Org.
- Save your MolSlides early and often! Once you close your PE window,
unsaved MolSlides are lost.
Test Your MolSlide(s)
- Open a new browser window. Drag your molslide_set_01.htm and drop into the browser.
- If the slides don't display properly, see Troubleshooting at the bottom of the MolSlides.
Import Your MolSlide(s)
After you close PE, when you start a new PE session later, you can
import saved MolSlides. After importing, you can edit the slides, add
new slides, re-order the slides, apply a slide to PE, etc.
- Start a new session of PE.
- Load one of the molecules that is in your saved set of MolSlides.
If you are using downloaded PE, start Empty Explorer from PE's FrontDoor,
then Browse and load a PDB file from your MolSlides Folder.
[If you are using PE on-line, enter the PDB code in the slot at
- In PE, click on Import Views.. (below the message box).
- If you are using downloaded PE, use the Browse button to load
your saved MolSlides.
[If you are using PE on-line, open a new browser window,
and display the MolSlides you wish to import. Then, click on
use the HTML source paste-in box and follow instructions there.]
- The MolSlide Manager will open showing your imported MolSlides.