Student Assessment of Learning Gains from Protein Explorer
I. On-Line Assessment
Here are instructions for using free, customizable on-line assessment
either for your entire course, or just for the Protein Explorer component.
- Go to the
Student Assessment of Learning Gains (SALGains) website,
click on Register to create a new account, and Login.
- Click on Add a new course. Fill in the information requested
and click the button to add the course. (Don't worry, you can change any
of this later by clicking on the link to the Course Name.)
- Select the new course with the radio button in the left column,
and click on the button "Look at ..." below the table.
- Under Step 1, click the link to "Replace your SALG instrument
with a version Created by someone else".
- Use the radio button in the left column to select one of the following
two templates, then press the "Submit" button at the very bottom of the page.
- For assessment of your ENTIRE COURSE (including the Protein
Explorer segment), select the template for Department=Biology,
Name: Template for entire course that includes a component with
Protein Explorer. Or,
- For assessment of ONLY the Protein Explorer segment of your
course, select the template for Department=Biology, Name:
Template for only the Protein Explorer component of a course.
- After pressing the "Submit" button, click the button
"Replace my course instrument with this one". Then click Go
to course page.
- Under Step 1, click on "View
the current version of your SALG instrument and any additional questions".
- If you wish to evaluate your ENTIRE course, there should be Q1-Q6 with
many subquestions (the standard instrument), plus at the end a block
of "Additional Questions" about Protein Explorer.
- If you wish to evaluate ONLY the PE portion of your course, you should see
only a block of questions about Protein Explorer.
- At the top of the page, click Go to your Course Options.
If you are evaluating your entire course, you will want to customize
the questions to match your course. Under Step 1, click on "Edit
the current version of the SALG instrument" to do so. Expect to spend
some time in order to do a good job here (but you can come back and do this
later if you wish).
- When you are ready to have your students do the survey, complete the
items under Step 2: Make preparations for your students to complete the instrument.
- After the deadline you set for your students, use "Step 3:
View and analyze the data" as you wish.
Please print the
page "View frequencies of student responses to Additional
Question Data". Please add a brief description of how you used
Protein Explorer in your course. In lecture only? In labs? In required
assignments? How much time (if any) were students expected to spend
in hands-on use of Protein Explorer? What kind of results did you ask
students to hand in, if any? Please snail mail the assessment summary
and the information about your course to:
Department of Microbiology
University of Massachusetts
Amherst MA 01003 USA
II. Paper handout for assessment.
Using a paper handout for assessment is an alternative to using
the on-line method above. If you prefer the paper method,
please print this form for
Student Assessment of Learning Gains from Protein Explorer,
have your students answer the questions, and send the
completed sheets to the address on the form, along with a brief
description of your course and how you employed Protein Explorer in it.
Feedback to Eric Martz.