Downloading and installing free MDL Chime into a compatible browser will take only a few minutes, but
MDL's website (the sole source) requires a little patience.
You will be downloading the Chime installer program, which
is about 3 megabytes. The download itself will take at least
7 minutes on a 56K modem, but much less on a faster network connection.
You may wish to print this page, because you will have to close your browser
in order to complete this process.
Log in at MDL & Download Chime
- You must Register at MDL to download Chime.
If you have registered with them in the past, get your password in hand and proceed to the Log in at MDL & Download Chime step.)
- After you register, MDL will send your password to you immediately by email.
Record your password in a convenient place. It is difficult to remember and MDL does not let you change it.
Installing into Netscape 4.8 or Internet Explorer:
- Log in to MDL.
- From the Downloads menu on the bar near the top, select Download Products.
- Open the menu Select a Product and choose MDL Chime.
- Click on the link Windows or Macintosh as appropriate for your computer. (MDL Chime is not available for linux or other platforms.)
- Click Start Download. Save the installer program in a place where you can find it.
- Don't worry about the fact that MDL says Chime is not supported for Windows 98 or Netscape 4.8. It works fine with these!
- On Windows, if you have previously installed MDL Chime, uninstall the old version: Start, Settings, Control Panel, Add/Remove Programs.
If Chime was installed in both Internet Explorer and Netscape, be sure to uninstall it separately from each of these.
- Run the installer:
- Windows: simply accept all the defaults, clicking Next, Yes, Continue etc. until finished.
- Macintosh: You must select the correct plug-ins folder manually! A dialog appears titled "Install software into".
Typically there are several unrelated applications with "plug-ins" folders,
and the Chime installer often selects the wrong one. Make sure the "Plug-ins" folder in this dialog is set to the one under Netscape Communicator. If you
have multiple copies or versions of Netscape installed, be sure to choose the
one where you want to install Chime. If you don't select the correct
plug-ins folder, Chime will not work in the browser you intended.
Installing into Netscape 7.2, Firefox, Mozilla
In order to install Chime in any of these browsers, you must first install it into Internet Explorer or Netscape 4.8. Follow the instructions above and then visit the Netscape 7.2, Firefox, and Mozilla page.
- Bookmark this page.
- Exit/Quit from your browser. Restart your browser. This is necessary to load Chime.
- Visit our Chime Test Page and follow the instructions there.
- After successful installation, you are ready to use any of the available Chime-based Resources.
Most of these are indexed at the World Index of Molecular Visualization Resources, molvisindex.org.