BYLAW: Common Driveways
MUNICIPALITY: - Upton, MA
DATE ADOPTED: Unknown
FOR MORE INFORMATION ON THIS BYLAW CONTACT:
Kenneth Picard, Chairman
P.O. Box 463
Upton, MA 01568
TEXT OF THE BYLAW
J. Common Driveways
All persons constructing common driveways in any and all districts of the Town of Upton shall meet the following standards. A common driveway is any road to be used for vehicular access to two or more dwellings or places of business.
1. Common driveways shall be of sufficient design so as to provide safe travel for vehicles and pedestrians and to obtain maximum amenities for future residents.
2. All common driveways shall be identified by a sign posted at the intersection with public way, and the sign shall state: “ NOT A PUBLIC WAY”.
3. The driveway shall be graded and prepared according to all requirements of Subdivision Control Laws Sections V. (Required Improvements for an Approved Subdivision), subsection B. 2, 3, and 4.
4. Common driveways shall have an easement width of not less than twenty-four feet (24’) and shall have a paved width of not less than eight-teen feet (18’).
5. A three-foot shoulder shall be constructed along at least one side of the paved driveway.
6. The maximum centerline grade shall not exceed 8%. Within seventy-five feet (75’) of street right of way lines not grade shall exceed 3%.
7. Property lines at street intersections shall be rounded or cut back to provide for a curb radius of not less than thirty (30) degrees.
8. Common driveways shall not exceed five hundred feet (500’) in length.
9. In the circular turning area at the end of the cul -de- sac the minimum easement shall be of a diameter of not less than one hundred twenty feet (120’) and the paved area shall be not less than one hundred (100) feet in diameter.