BYLAW: Bicycle Parking
MUNICIPALITY: Watertown, MA
DATE ADOPTED: Unknown
FOR MORE INFORMATION ON THIS BYLAW CONTACT:
TEXT OF THE BYLAW
SECTION 6.07 BICYCLE PARKING
(a) Off street bicycle parking shall be provided as follows:
(1) One bicycle parking space for every 15 automobile parking spaces, with a minimum of 4 and a maximum of 50 spaces, must be provided. No bicycle parking is required where fewer than 15 automobile parking spaces are required.
(2) Each bicycle parking space shall be sufficient to accommodate a bicycle 7 feet in length and 2 feet in width. Inverted U frame racks that support the bicycle at two or more points above and on either side of the bicycle's center of gravity are required. An alternative style of rack that, in the opinion of the Zoning Board of Appeals, provides a comparable level of security and convenience may be provided. Racks must be secured to the ground.
(3) It is recommended that half be provided as long term parking, safe and secure from vandalism and theft, and protected from the elements. The other half shall be provided as short term (customer or visitor) parking, and it is recommended that these spaces be visible and convenient to building entrance.
(4) Any property owner required to have bicycle parking may elect to establish a shared bicycle parking facility with any other property owner within the same block to meet the combined requirements.
(5) The following uses are exempt from these requirements: Funeral parlor, undertaker, automobile repair or body shop, gas station, and car wash.
(6) These requirements may be varied by the Board of Appeals by Special Permit, based upon a determination that the proposed bicycle parking facilities will adequately address the purposes of this section.