Package Services (Parcel Post, Media Mail)
Used for gifts and general merchandise, may also contain books and other printed matter. Maximum weight is 70 pounds. The maximum size is 130 inches in combined length and distance around the thickest part.
Mark each package "Parcel Post" in the postage area.
Media Mail (formerly called Book Rate)
Used for books, film, manuscripts, printed music, printed test materials, sound recordings, play scripts, printed educational charts, loose-leaf pages and binders consisting of medical information, videotapes, and computer recorded media such as CD-ROMs and diskettes. Media Mail cannot contain advertising.
The maximum size is 108 inches in combined length and distance around the thickest part.
Mark each package "Media Mail" in the postage area.
United Parcel Service (Domestic Service Only)
United Parcel Service is available for offices and departments that have University accounts which can be recharged. Departments can leave outbound packages that are clearly marked UPS in campus mail and we will pick them up with the daily mail stop.
The following service levels are provided:
- Next day air service (red label) guaranteed delivery
- 2nd day air service (blue label) guaranteed delivery
- 3 day select (orange label) guaranteed delivery
- Ground service-delivery time based on distance
- Insurance (up to $50,000; first $100.00 is free; each additional $100.00 is 35 cents)
For additional info please call 413.545.3313.
Requirements, limitations, and recommendations:
- Weight limit- 70lbs.- Mail Services will pick up at the department mail area. From 71lbs. to 100lbs the department must bring their packages to Distribution Services dock at the Physical Plant. No service over 100 lbs.
- Size Limit-130 inches in length and girth combined, with a maximum length of 108 inches per package. (See measuring packages)
- Insurance over $500.00-A statement of contents must be included with the package
- When insurance is $1,000 or more a brand new box is required unless a computer is shipped in the original box and packing. It must be in good condition.
- A container strong enough to protect and cushion the contents during handling should be used to insure that they do not move within the container.
- Address information should be placed inside the container, preferably on the contents.
- Pressure-sensitive filament or reinforced tape should be used for closing and reinforcing the flaps and seams. Wrapping paper, string, masking tape, or cellophane tape may not be used.
- The address must be clearly printed on one side only.
- The address label should not be placed on the seam of the package. Writing directly on the package with indelible ink is best.
|United Parcel does not deliver on weekends, so packages shipped on Fridays by next day, 2nd day, 3 day select etc. are delivered on the following Mon., Tues., Wed; etc.