Traveling to Campus
The closest airport to the University of Massachusetts Amherst is Bradley International Airport, Hartford/Springfield (BDL), which is located 46 miles south of campus. Logan International Airport (BOS) in Boston Massachusetts is located 98 miles east of the UMass Amherst campus. The Geosciences Department is arranging limited transportation to and from Bradley Airport only upon request.
- From the South, via I-91 North
- Travelers have a choice of two routes:
- From Exit 19 in Northampton: From the exit ramp, turn right onto Route 9 and go approximately 4.5 miles to Route 116 North. Turn left onto 116 and go one mile to the UMass Exit.
- From Exit 24 in Deerfield: At the stop sign at the top of the ramp, turn right (north) onto Routes U.S. 5/10/116, and immediately turn right again at the traffic lights onto Route 116 South and follow it for eight miles to Amherst center. Follow signs to UMass.
- From the North, via I-91 South
- Follow I-91 to Exit 25 in Deerfield. At the end of the ramp turn left and follow the road to the intersection. Turn right onto Routes 5 & 10 South. Go one mile, turn left onto Route 116 South and follow it for eight miles to the UMass Amherst exit.
- From the North, via I-93 South
- Follow I-93 to I-495 South. Follow to Route 2 West. Continue on Route 2 to U.S. 202 South. Follow for about 15 miles to the blinking light at the Pelham exit marked “Route 9 and 116 Amherst.” Turn right and follow for seven miles toward Amherst center. Follow signs to UMass.
- From the East or West, via I-90
- Travelers have a choice of four routes:
- From Exit 8 (Palmer/Ware): Follow Route 32 South to Palmer; take Route 20 West to Route 181 North into Belchertown, and then Route 9 West to Amherst. Follow signs to UMass.
- From Exit 7 (Ludlow): Follow Route 21 North to U.S. 202 North to Route 9 West to Amherst center. Follow signs to UMass.
- From Exit 5 (Chicopee): Follow Route 33 North to Route 116 North to Amherst center. Turn left at the light onto Route 9 West. Follow signs to UMass.
- From Exit 4 (West Springfield): I-91 North to Exit 19 to Route 9 East to Amherst. Follow signs to UMass.