UMass Amherst
The Labor Center Logo

Assistantships and Financial Aid

Graduate assistantships are available for a small number of graduate students, usually for students who are hired to work on research with faculty at the Labor Center. Students may also receive research assistantships from union-sponsored or grant-funded projects. These assistantships include a stipend as well as a tuition waiver. Students who do not receive assistantships through the university may also be eligible for tuition waivers if they have a position working in an area related to their degree program.

International students may be eligible for tuition waivers through the International Programs Office at the William S. Clark International Center on the fourth floor of Hills South, phone number 413-545-2710. They can be found on the web at

Other financial aid such as grants or loans may be available through the University Financial Aid Office. Students interested in applying for financial aid should write directly to Graduate Financial Aid Services, 243 Whitmore Administration Building, University of Massachusetts, Amherst, MA 01003, or call (413) 577-0555. Students interested in financial aid should complete the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) by March 1 for the following Fall and by October 15 for the Spring semester. The form can be submitted on-line at The Financial Aid Office can be reached by e-mail at or found on the web at


The AFL-CIO has a new fellowship program designed to train women and people of color for leadership positions in the labor movement. If you are eligible, you can receive up to $3,000 per year toward your graduate degree. For more information see Union Leaders of the Future scholarship at


UMass Seal