Game Studies Colloquium set for Nov. 8-10
The scheduled events are as follows:
“Pervasive Games in Stockholm,” a lecture by and discussion with Annika Waern of Stockholm University, Thursday, Nov. 8, 7-9 p.m., Seelye Hall 101, Smith College.
“From Media Studies to Game Studies,” a panel on game studies projects moderated by Evan Torner of UMass Amherst and Smith College, Friday, Nov. 9, 2-4 p.m., 104 Thompson Hall.
• “Press X to Look at Breast: Gender and the Investigatory Gaze in L.A. Noire,” Jen Malkowski, Smith College
• “Postal Mediation and Apocalyptic Game Studies,” Zachary McDowell, UMass Amherst
• “The Phenomenology of Immersion in Tabletop Role-Playing,” William J. White, Penn State Altoona
• “Role-Playing and Genre Analysis,” Emily Care Boss, Black & Green Games
• “Ideas at Play: Teaching Game Design at Hampshire College,” Joshua A.C. Newman, Hampshire College
“Immersive Gameplay: Essays on Participatory Media and Role-Playing,” a reading and book signing with William J. White, Emily Care Boss, Evan Torner and and Katherine Castiello Jones, also of UMass Amherst, Saturday, Nov. 10, 4-6 p.m., Modern Myths, Northampton.
This event is sponsored by the Interdepartmental Program in Film Studies, Department of Communication, German and Scandinavian Studies, the film studies program at Smith College, the Smith Science Fiction and Fantasy Society, ConBust and Modern Myths, Inc.