337 Herter Hall
Zhijun Wang received his PhD in Chinese linguistics and second Language acquisition from the University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign. He has been teaching Chinese as a second language in China, Thailand and US for more than 19 years. His research interests include Chinese linguistics, Chinese language pedagogy, second language acquisition of Chinese and Chinese psycholinguistics. His book “Situation Types and Chinese Aspect Marker Le” is forthcoming. He has published on Chinese Aspect and Chinese Adjective Reduplications.
PhD in East Asian Languages and Cultures from University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign Certificate of Advanced Study in Second Language Acquisition and Teacher Education.
- Chinese linguistics: Chinese aspect, cognitive semantics, context coercion
- Second language acquisition: language loss and attrition, lexical development, aspect acquisition
- Language Teaching Methodology: teacher training, technology application in language teaching, vocabulary and grammar teaching
- Chinese Psycholinguistics
- Situation Types and the Chinese Aspect Marker LE, Peking University Press, (Forthcoming, 2016)
- Today’s World: A Reader of Chinese News Reports, co-authored with Ying Wang & Lisha Xu, Peking University Press, (Forthcoming, 2016)
- "The Head of the Chinese Adjectives and ABB Reduplication," US-China Foreign Language, 2014, Vol. 12, No. 5, pp. 349-359
- "An Empirical Study on the Development of American Learners’ Mental Lexicon in the Native Language Environment (in Chinese)," in Language Teaching and Linguistic Studies, Zhijun Wang & Yuxin Hao, 2014, Vol. 1, pp. 29-37
- "A Study on the Requirements of Learners in L1 Environment for Chinese Language Learners’ Dictionary (in Chinese)," Yuxin Hao & Zhijun Wang, TCSOL Studies (Teaching Chinese to Speakers of Other Languages Studies), 2013, Vol. 3, pp. 50-57.
- "L2 Acquisition of Topic Structures in Mandarin Chinese," Proceedings of 25th NACCL Conference, 2013, University of Michigan, co-authored with Feng-his Liu.
- "Context Coercion in Sentence Processing: Evidence from Chinese," Proceedings of 20th NACCL Conference, 2008, (ed.) by Marjorie Chan, Ohio State University
- "Connectionism and its enlightenment to linguistics (in Chinese) (coauthor with Yan, Maosi)," Modern Foreign Language 1997, Vol.1, pp. 1-6
- "Professional development through action research for language educators" (coauthor with Sujung Park, Satomi Kuroshima), Bigelow, M., & Walker, C. (Eds.). 2004. Creating teacher community: Selected papers from the Third International Conference on Language Teacher Education. Minneapolis, MN: Center for Advanced Research on Language Acquisition
- "Cultural differences between Chinese and English temporal words (in Chinese)," Language and Culture: Teaching and Research (1), 1997, Sinolingua, China
- Review: "Teaching and Learning Chinese in Global Contexts: Multimodality and Literacy in the New Media Age." Edited by Tsung, L. & Cruickshank, K. London: Continuum International Publishing Group, 2011. Chinese Linguistics and Discourse 6:1 (2015), Pp. 104-108, John Benjamin Publishing Company
Courses Recently Taught
Chinese 126: Intensive Elementary Chinese I
Chinese 246: Intensive Elementary Chinese II
Chinese 433: Business Chinese
Chinese 580: Teaching Chinese as a Foreign Language
Chinese 581: Second Language Acquisition of Chinese