First-Year Students interested in joining a Residential Academic Program (RAP):
Joining a RAP is a commitment involving both specific academic courses and a designated residence hall. You must decide if the residence hall location and the RAP fit with your academic/personal interests. For more information on RAP options click here. To reserve a space, you must submit your admissions deposit, register for New Student Orientation, and complete the Math Placement test.
First-Year Students who do not join one of the Residential Academic Programs:
While at NSO, you will have the opportunity to submit your housing preferences. On the housing preference application, you will have the opportunity rank the areas of campus that include first-year residence halls (Central, Commonwealth Honors College Residential Community, Northeast, Orchard Hill, and Southwest). In addition, you can select any of the living-learning or special housing options we offer by area.
Please note that UMass Amherst guarantees on-campus housing for all first-year students within the Residential First-Year Experience. Assignments will be determined by student’s preference applications and by the availability of space.
We will do our best to honor roommate requests. You and your roommate request must submit matching preference applications and request each other as roommates on the preference application to be considered.
First-Year Students Who Are Eligible To Live in Commonwealth Honors College Residential Community:
Students who are accepted as a Commonwealth Honors College student are eligible for priority consideration in the Commonwealth Honors Residential Community (CHCRC). Eligible students can list CHCRC as their first choice on the preference application. Please note that students who rank CHCRC on their preference application must also include the other areas (Orchard Hill, Southwest, Central, and Northeast).
Steps to take at NSO:
• You will receive information about these communities in the first-year halls and other areas of campus.
• You will have an advising meeting where you will confirm the RAP you have chosen prior to New Students Orientation OR you will have the opportunity to join one at this time.
• You will enroll in the related courses designated for the program you choose.
• You will attend a Housing Session where you will indicate your housing interest on an online application.
• If you have chosen a RAP prior to NSO, you will confirm that choice during NSO.