Stipend: The Student Auxiliary Sustainability Coordinator works 10-15 hours per week at a rate of $10 per hour.
The UMass Amherst Sustainability Initiative is in the midst of several exciting projects and constantly working to expand and improve its efforts. An important realm of this work is that related to food. The Campus Sustainability Initiative’s Food Fellow serves the role of Student Auxiliary Sustainability Coordinator. This role supports projects currently in progress and works to initiate new ideas around sustainable agriculture, purchasing food local, etc.
The Student Auxiliary Sustainability Coordinator works closely with the UMass Auxiliary Sustainability Manager to support the goals outlined in the UMass Climate Action Plan and the Real Food Challenge Campus Commitment. The vision for this role is to create a sustainable and engaged campus community through our local food systems and operations.
· Climate Action Plan:This fellow supports UMass Auxiliary’s goals outlined in the Food chapter of the UMass Climate Action Plan to support local and sustainable food systems, minimize waste, and educate and engage the campus community around food systems; this fellow attends and helps coordinate the monthly Chancellor Leadership Food Subcommittee meetings.
· Student Engagement and Education:This fellow collaborates with various departments and student groups across campus to engage the campus in food systems education; further, this fellow offers guidance to students interested in getting involved in campus food sustainability.
· Real Food Challenge Campus Commitment:This fellow supports staff and student involvement in achieving the goals outlined by the RFC Campus Commitment and serves as a liaison to the Real Food Challenge Organization
· Campus-wide Sustainability Projects and Programs:This fellow contributes to campus-wide projects and events to promote sustainability; this may include event-planning, development of campus-wide projects, marketing, and networking in general
· Special Projects:This fellow completes Auxiliary Sustainability tasks as needed, often including research and write-ups, drafting proposals, or on-site support at campus sustainability events