Download the Bronze Checklist Here
- We shut off our monitors and/or manually send our computers into energy-saving modes (standby or hibernate) when not in use and turn them off at night.
- We have sleep mode enabled on all copiers and all printers after five minutes or more of inactivity.
- All lights are turned off when not in use during the day and at night, including in common areas such as kitchens, conference rooms, storage closets, and bathrooms. We have posted prompts on light switches, where applicable.
- We send, or will send, an e-mail to our staff before holidays and breaks containing an energy saving checklist.
- During cold weather, the blinds in our individual work stations are closed at night. If your office has Air conditioning, this applies to warm weather as well.
- There are recycling bins in all common areas where trash bins are present, such as in kitchens, break rooms, conference rooms, mail rooms, and copy rooms.
- In our office, recycling signs are clearly posted on or near recycling bins.
- We spent several minutes reviewing proper recycling practices at a recent staff meeting to ensure that all members of our office are aware of the rules and had their questions answered.
- We provide recycling bins at events and meetings sponsored by our office.
- When we need to dispose of office furniture and equipment, we contact Facilities/Operations to see if it can be salvaged and reused elsewhere. (Contact Kathy Rossi – 545.9615 – Service Manager office of waste management)
- We print or copy to both sides of a page whenever possible. Double-siding is set as a default on our office computers, and we placed a visual prompt on our copy machine to remind members of our office to double-side whenever possible. (Duplex printing on Windows)
- In order to save paper when printing and copying, we reuse paper that has text on only one side whenever appropriate. We keep a scrap paper pile near our printer and/or copier.
- We use inter-office instead of regular envelopes whenever possible and promote the redistribution of inter-office envelopes in our office or department.
- We have posted the appropriate contacts regarding leaking faucets/toilets and have discussed a protocol for how to deal with such issues.
- Before we purchase office furniture, such as file cabinets, desks, etc., we check to see if the Surplus Property Barn (contact: (413)545-9615) has any surplus items in stock or can obtain any.
- Before purchasing new furniture we consider more sustainable furniture options
- If we must purchase new (or used) appliances and equipment (printers, copiers, microwaves, etc.), we only purchase Energy Star certified models. (About Energy Star)