Academic Credit Registration & Cancellation Policies
To earn three academic credits toward a University degree, participants must fulfill the following criteria:
- Fully participate in all Institute activities (e.g. workshops, craft sessions, readings, etc).
- Read at least four books by Institute faculty or writers in residence, and submit a five-page response paper.
For those of you who would like to receive credit, please review the information below, which contains deadlines and detailed instructions for registration,
- Select to add "academic credit" to your cart via the online enrollment page and pay the non-refundable $55.00 credit registration fee by May 1, 2020.
- Visit the Non-Degree Enrollment Application (below the "Apply/Refrences" heading to the left of the page) and follow these steps:
- Click 'continue' at the bottom of the disclaimer.
- Select '4 - Summer' from the first dropdown selection on the following form asking in which term you would like to register for credit.
- Fill out all subsequent fields within the form to the best of your ability.
- Please include exactly two things in the comments section:
- Which program you will participate in: Juniper Insitute for Young Writers
- The appropriate course number for your chosen genre for credit: 597F for fiction credit or 597J for poetry credit
- Ex. If you are a highschool student who would like to read novels and short stories, you would write: attending Juniper Institute for Young Writers, 597F. If you are interested in reading poetry collections, you would write: attending Juniper Institute for Young Writers, 597J.
- Be sure to correctly fill in your social security number as well as the comments section otherwise UMass will not be able to process your credit registration.
- If you have any trouble with this portion of your credit enrollment, please contact Sheila Gilmour 413-545-3653
- Read 4 of the prose books (for 597F) or 10 of the poetry books (for 597J) on our Academic Credit Book List and submit a five-page response paper that discusses at least three of the prose or all of the poetry books.
- Submit your paper via email as a PDF attachment by the following deadline:
- By Monday, July 27, 2020 (firstname.lastname@example.org).
- Pay the UMass Amherst Busar's Office $347.00 ($300.00 for 3 credits and a $47.00 administrative fee). This portion of your credit payment is NOT paid to the Juniper Institute. You will recieve a bill directly from UMass Amherst Bursar's Office to your UMass email (you'll be given a umass email at the time of credit enrollment). Paper invoices will not be mailed. Deadline for this payment is dependent upon the date by which you enroll.
If you choose to withdraw after registering for academic credits, you will still be required to pay the $55.00 credit registration fee to the Juniper Summer Writing Institute and the $47.00 administrative fee to UMass Continuing and Professional Education (billed by the Bursar's Office). The last day to withdraw from the course without a grade penalty is July 22, 2020.
If you have questions about billing please contact the UMass office of the Busar (413) 545-2368 and if you have questions about Spire or your UMass email please contact UMass IT (413) 545-8324. Any other quesitons can be directed to the Juniper Hub office (413) 545-8988.