Independent Study

An independent study (Journal 296, 396, 496) is an independent research project. The number of credits you receive depends on the project, but generally students receive one to three credits. Three credits of independent study may count as one of your four required Journalism electives. You must have an academic research topic of interest and then find a faculty member willing to sponsor you. You and the faculty member will then work out what you will do for the semester and what you will be expected to produce at the end of the semester in order to receive your grade. You must fill out an Independent Study contract form, available in 108 Bartlett.

Journalism Department
108 Bartlett Hall
University of Massachusetts
Amherst, MA 01003

Phone: 413.545.1376