Welcome to advising in the Journalism Department!
Your advisors are here to help guide and encourage you to make the most of your time here at UMass. You have so many options as a journalism student on this campus, and our job is to help you find them.
During the busy registration season (Oct. 29 - Nov. 15), students can utilize walk-in hours with our advisors. Journalism majors may also schedule a meeting with Chief Undergraduate Advisor Beth Wallace on EAB/SSC. Here is the schedule for walk-ins, which are ideal for a quick check in. Anything longer than five minutes should be an advising appointment.
We encourage you to meet with your advisor at least once a semester to make sure you’re on the right track. Here is a sample of what your advisors can help you with:
- Course registration and choosing classes based on your interests and requirements
- Navigating SPIRE and going over what you still need for Gen Eds and college requirements
- How to get involved in campus media
- Any problems you might be experiencing that impact your coursework (stress, mental health, illness)
- Referrals to various resources on campus
- Brainstorm interests for your required minor and/or secondary majors
We encourage our students to do internships to gain field experience. Your first stop for internships is with Senior Lecturer B.J. Roche, who also serves as the internship coordinator for our department. You can search for internships on the Handshake platform (available to all UMass students). You'll also get to know your faculty very well because of our small courses. They will help you hone your journalism skills and serve as mentors to you.
Beth currently advises all Journalism majors, and students can make an appointment via this link.
If you are currently a UMass student looking to switch into Journalism, you can also see our peer advisors 12 - 2 p.m. MW and 12 -1 p.m. TTHF in the Journalism Hub, ILC S414
We meet with prospective Journalism students, too, so if you’re in high school and thinking about majoring in journalism, visit this page for more info and to set up a tour.