Minimum required credits and courses are 6 courses & 18 credits. If the Foundation course is waived, a minimum of 5 courses and 15 credits is required.
Courses for the IT Minor must be distributed across four categories:
- Foundation (x1) - A comprehensive basis for IT
- Technical (x2) - In-depth study of technical subject in programming, data management, or internet
- Broadened Inquiry (x1) - IT in a broader context, such as public policy, historical, legal, or an area of theory and research
- Elective (x2) - IT knowledge/skills applied to a specific field of study; may include extra technical or broadened inquiry courses
Our Course Catalog lists courses and their categories.
- Extra Broadened Inquiry and Technical courses may be used as satisfying Elective Requirements.
- Broadened Inquiry courses, unless noted in the IT Minor Course Catalog, can not be used as Technical Requirements.
- Electives can not be used to satisfy Broadened Inquiry or Technical Requirements.
- Foundation courses can not be used to satisfy any other category.
- Please, see an advisor if any clarification is needed.
Double Dipping: Courses applied to the IT Minor may also be counted toward the major or general education requirements. Although these courses may coincide with requirements for your specific field of study, please note:
- At least two of the courses used to complete the IT Minor must be taken outside of your major.
- No more than two courses used to fulfill the requirements of any one credential may be applied toward the fulfillment of another credential, wherein "credential" is defined as an academic program (major, minor, or certificate).
- Per University regulation, a course may only be applied to two credentials.
- Students who have taken OIM 210 can have their foundation requirement waived.
- The above policy applies to all students who entered UMass Amherst in Fall 2017 and after.
Transferred Courses: Acceptance of Transfer Credit from another institution is not assured and must be pre-approved. A maximum of one transfer course is allowed. This can only be used to fulfill the Elective category of requirements and must have received a grade of B or better.
Grade Requirements: Students must have a minimum 2.00 cumulative GPA for courses applied to the minor and may only count one grade below a C (2.0) toward the minor.