Janine Solberg, David Todd, Traci Hess, Nikki Stoia, Jerry Schoen, Graham Gal, Steve Brewer, Patricia Galvis-Assmus
Attending: Janine Solberg, David Todd, Traci Hess, Nikki Stoia, Jerry Schoen, Graham Gal, Steve Brewer, Patricia Galvis-Assmus
Reaching out to Deans on Campus
- Dean of Grad School: Can't collaborate with IT Program at this time.
- Contact new UMass Amherst CIO, Julie Buehler
Heads and Chairs Meetings Recommendations
Patricia will be attending Heads and Chairs meetings during Fall 2013 semester
- Review US Dept. of Education Material (link)
- Address fallacy that students already have the tech skills, when in fact they don't
- Formulate survey and determine how to gear survey towards individual schools/ colleges
- Hand out recommended tracks geared towards specific school/college, then hand out blank tracks for them to fill out.
Questions to Ask:
- What skills are students lacking and how do we fill that gap in knowledge?
- What type of skills will students need after they graduate?
- What courses could we support financially?
- How much of understand of how technology works are students taught?
- Do students understand ramifications?
Survey IT Minor Alumni
Ask Alum IT Minor students, valuable courses, lacking skills
Course Bucket List
Create a bucket list of courses geared towards each school that will help students determine what would best compliment their major
Technical Course Requirement
- Course options dwindling
- Distinction between sections needs to be refined
- Students need 1 programming course and one technical course?
- Need to review courses so we can redefine courses or requirements
Recommended: Specify 1 from one category and one from another, don't require programming?
New England Regional Developers Summit (N.E.R.D.S.)-Proposal by Steve Brewer
- Recommend joining ICT Summit and N.E.R.D.S. together
- Location: On campus
- Steve will seekout further support
- ICT Summit - one day to reflect on meeting in 2002 and ask people what do we need in education and what role IT Program has in that?
- Then have the NERDS day