Patricia Galvis-Assmus, Marilyn Billings, Shaopping Moss, Jay Schafer, Matthew Mattingly, Maria Toyofuku, Traci Hess, Steve Brewer, Jerry Schoen, and Nikki Stoia
Review recent summit and what to do for ICT Summit 2012.
Date for Summit 2012?
- Simplify organization-keynote speaker
- poster session at beginning of event so people move around and settle on where people concograte.
- with poster session
- 2min per person for intro
- one powerpoint slide
- discrepency in speakers agreed time to speak and reality
- Difficulty of keeping track of speaker and topic. Having geographic location may help associating project and people.
- Break up lightning talks to alleviate overload.
- Having summit on two different days-half day (diner event) and next day – tour bus or craft fair.
- Trade show-software and hardware show and tell for students.
- Companies loan equipment for students to construct something with technology and show off at summit. Make it connect with students. Practical use.
- FAC square- 20 min. demos.
Single day event – more opportunity to meet one another.
- Keynote- gets people in
- Lightning- see what people are doing
- Vendors- see what is being worked on.
- Faculty and Admin, students are a bonus.
- enjoyed it
- have a focused session to draw in students
Other Four Colleges' Role?
- Summit 2011- first time bringing 5 college faculty in. An experiment to connect.
- How do we better connect?
- Every campus has something similar to ICT Summit and it would be good to cross pollenate.
- 5 Colledge IT collaboration needs to collaborate more. Hampshire hasn't had an IT person, but
- will have one soon. UMass has a lot of options. So its getting easier to coordinate.
What is summit's role for 5 Colleges?
Have a 5 college collaboration group?
- SIGS/ Birds of a feather
- explore different events' pro/cons and refine together.
- One comment: didn't get to talk to people he was interested in speaking to.
- Students benefited from this
- Use technology in advance to connect people- survey(?)
- Alternative- baseball card with picture of person and informaiton
- barcode with additional informaiton
Lunch - ran out of food due to non-registered attendees. Make sure to state this in future.
- Clay Shirky
- Doug Trumble
- Christopher Dede
- Scott Style/Squire
- Kyle Cooper
- moodle speaker?- research- Good to have because UMass will transition to using it.
Just Moodle It!
- Collaboration and open source
- 4 colleges have decided to adopt it
- Mt. Holyoke considering it.
- Online education
- alternate environment for education
- Empowers students to become producer of content with teachers
- Power to the people
- Changing role of student/ facutly
- includes a lot of peripherals
- democratizing education-issues of online education
- Virtual learning environments VLE
- Collaboration Nation
- Digitla Gaia/ GIS/ Earth – focus
- Creativity Technology
- Crowd sourcing- Digital mosh pit
Ultimate image reality gaming
- jane mcconegle
- internet puzzles sponsored by McDonalds for Olympics
what is your digital reality
- speakers could give their own reality
digital snake oil
- people investing time in fake social communities than real people around them
- International community
- Technology- Double edged sword, has negative conotation
- What you see is what you net
- Just Moodle It! Moodle Me, Moodle You!
Virtual Learning environments
- philosophy of using tech
- then practical use
- 5 Colleges talk about how each college will implement Moodle
- Moodle Max mascot?
- Philosophy first, then what to do with it.
- Equal draw for both morning and afternoon
- keynote and secondary speaker
- Use Alumni Association to help publicizeSend out earlier notice to get more people involved.
- IF 5 colleges are to be involved, pgya could attend meetings of 5 colleges
- Mattingly- Multi media show faculty projects helped draw people in. People of similar departments would attend presenter in same departments. Each person would have an individual booth.
- Separated sessions allow for commitment rather than whole day commitment
- learning commons- each faculty could have individual room to present.
- Have summit on a monday holiday or saturday? Revisited.
- Undergraduate advising open house conflict- be aware.
- One day summit
- Mulitple locations: worth exploring
- Speaker: ?
- Theme: Moodle
- Date: Friday, March 30th. Check schedule for any open house. Or March 2nd.