Five College Professor of Italian and Director of the Five College Center for the Study of World Languages
Location: Herter Hall 306
Phone: (413) 545-3453
Email: mazzocco AT frital.umass.edu
MA, PhD, Italian Studies, Bryn Mawr College
- LangMedia: Resources for World Languages
- "Petrarch's Search for Antica Virtù," forthcoming in the MLA series, Teaching Petrarch. Christopher Kleinhenz and Andrea Dini, eds.
- "Eleonora d'Este and the Heroines of Boiardo's Orlando Innamorato: Challenging Gender Stereotypes at the Ferrara Court." In The Court Reconvenes: Courtly Literature Across the Disciplines. B. Altmann and C. Carroll, eds. Rochester: Boydell and Brewer, 2003. pp. 284-293.
- "LangMedia, a WorldWide Website for Language and Culture, and the Role of International Students in its Creation." In New Technologies and Language Learning. Ed. Spreen Carol. Honolulu: Univ. of Hawai'i Press, 2002. pp. 121-34.
- The Five College Foreign Language Laserdisc Series (a series of eleven 30-minute laserdiscs and accompanying computer programs for language/culture study). Amherst: University of Massachusetts Press, 1999.
Grants and Awards
- awarded $2.6 million in grants for language acquisition from the Andrew W. Mellon Foundation, The US Department of Education, The US National Security Education Project, The Booth-Ferris Foundation and the Charles E. Culpeper Foundation
- MERLOT 2005 (the Multimedia Educational Resource for Learning and Online Teaching) Editors' Choice Award for Overall Exemplary Online Learning Resource - for LangMedia
- 2000, ACE (American Council on Education) award for Academic Excellence in International Education
- Fulbright Fellow in Renaissance Studies, Università di Firenze
Renaissance, humanism, Middle Ages, history of the theater, image of women, historiography, second language acquisition, multimedia language materials development.