Critical Studies on Food in Italy Summer Program
Come to beautiful Rome this spring and join our own Critical Studies on Food in Italy Summer Program, offered in conjunction with Gustolab Institute and the Scuola Leonardo da Vinci. CSFI is an intensive program combining language courses with dynamic, fun and innovative courses on Critical Studies on Food in Italy; Food, Media, Communication and Trends; Food, Nutrition and Culture in Italy, and Italian Lexicon for Food Studies. Join Gustolab students and faculty on an unforgettable, long-weekend educational trip to the area of Cilento, visit farms and cheese makers, meet chefs, participate in olive oil and wine tastings, and so much more, all in the most rigorously structured academic food studies and culture program in Italy.
WHEN: MAY 23, 2016 - JUNE 25, 2016
WHERE: Rome, Italy
DURATION: 5-WEEK Full Immersion Summer Program
CREDITS: Direct transfer to UMass – 6 and 9 credit options
NEW THIS YEAR: Scholarships Avalable to UMass Students!
contact Professor Roberto Ludovico for more information
INSERT IMAGE: A snapshot from a course lecture on coffee roasting and production
What is included in the program?
- Registration to courses of your choice: 6 and 9 credit options
- 3-day excursion to Cilento
- 1-day excursion to an Agriturismo/EDUfarm (with 2 labs and lunch included);
- 1-day excursion to a vineyard (with 1 lab and dinner included);
- 1 educational dinner (workshop with chef and dinner included);
- 1 tasting: food & wine pairing.
Additional services include:
- Accommodation in shared apartments (double-occupancy rooms);
- Transfers between airport and apartments upon arrival and departure;
- Orientation (with a walking tour of Rome to help you get your bearings);
- 24-hr access to an emergency contact and facilitator;
- A Rome transportation card, good for 1 month and 1 week;
- Welcome and farewell dinners;
- The program fee also covers one prepaid mobile phone with Italian SIM card and private number. The phone is unlocked and remains the property of the student for future use in Europe or in the U.S.
The program fee does not include:
- Airfare to and from Italy;
- Meals not indicated as part of the co-curricular activities and additional services listed above.
UMass students enjoy reduced pricing and have access to Gustolab scholarships. Also, student loans for summer programs are available to qualifying UMass students through the University Bursars Office. Students regularly enrolled in other institutions should inquire on their home campuses about financial aid possibilities.
For all the details, including: pricing, course description and all the fun, please visit the Gustolab CSFI webpage.