On This Page:
- What is UDrive?
- How do I log into UDrive?
- How much space do I have in UDrive?
- Can I request additional storage space?
- What browsers are recommended for UDrive?
- How do I upload multiple files or folders to UDrive?
- Can I create a UDrive space for my course?
- I’ve shared a file/folder with some colleagues. Can they see it in their UDrive space?
- A link I sent to a colleague isn't working anymore. Did something happen?
- Can I restore files I've deleted accidentally?
- Can I post a Web site to UDrive?
- Does UDrive scan for viruses?
What is UDrive?
UDrive is UMass Amherst’s legacy Web-based file storage and sharing system. The current offering is provided by Box.
With UDrive, you can:
- Store your files then access them from anywhere you have an Internet connection.
- Share files with individuals or groups.
- Collaborate on projects with tools like versioning and subscriptions.
For more information on how UDrive can work for you, see 8 Ways to Use UDrive.
How do I log in to UDrive?
Note: If you are using a Subsidiary IT Account (e.g., an account created for a course), please make sure you are using the correct username and password.
How much space do I have in UDrive?
Each instructor, student, and staff member has 1 GB of storage space on UDrive.
To check how much available space you have, go to your home directory (click on the UDrive icon in the top left of the screen). Your quota and how much space you have available will appear in the bottom left corner.
Can I request additional storage space?
Please contact the IT Help Center if you need more than 1 GB of storage space.
What browsers are recommended for UDrive?
The following browsers are fully supported by Xythos, the company that develops UDrive:
- Mac OS 10.X: Firefox 3.0, Safari 1.1
- Windows Vista: Firefox 3.0, Internet Explorer 8.0
- Windows XP: Firefox 3.0, Internet Explorer 8.0
- Windows 2000: Internet Explorer 6.0
- Linux: Firefox 3.0
Note: IT recommends that you keep your browsers and other software up-to-date; however, you may experience problems using the latest or newest versions of some browsers with UDrive.
How do I upload multiple files or folders to UDrive?
There are two ways to upload multiple files or folders to UDrive:
WebDAV (recommended): Set up a WebDAV connection to drag-and-drop files and folders from your computer to your UDrive space.
Learn how to set up WebDAV on your computer: Windows | Macintosh
- Advanced Upload: Use the Advanced Upload browser plugin to upload files and folder to UDrive. For more information, see Upload Files to UDrive with a Web Browser.
Can I create a UDrive space for my course?
Yes. You can create a special IT Account, known as a Course IT Account, for each of your courses. Course IT Accounts provide a separate UDrive, Blog, and Web hosting space for each course.
I’ve shared a file/folder with some colleagues. Can they see it in their UDrive space?
Files you share with other UDrive users do not automatically appear in their UDrive spaces. To make sure that people have access to your content, email them a link to your file or folder, then ask them to bookmark the file or create a subscription to it.
A link I sent to a colleague isn't working anymore. Did something happen?
Intellilinks created and shared before January 12, 2010 do not work in the latest version of UDrive. These links, UDrive's shortened versions of URLs, are typically copy-and-pasted into emails sent to users with whom you are sharing files and folders.
To find the new Intellilink, select the checkbox next to a file or folder, then, in the toolbar (top left), go to Manage > Summary.
Can I restore files I've deleted accidentally?
When you delete a file or folder, it gets moved to your Trash folder. By default, UDrive stores the files in your Trash folder for 30 days. To restore a file from your Trash, go to Trash, select the checkbox(es) next to folder(s) or file(s) you want to restore, then click Restore File.
To restore files that have been moved to the Trash more than 30 days ago, please contact the IT Help Center.
Can I post a Web site to UDrive?
You can upload static Web files (e.g., .html, .gif, .jpg, .css) to UDrive and then share the site with other UMass Amherst users or make it public.
To post a simple Web site:
- Create a folder for your Web site (e.g., mywebsite), then choose who you want to share it with and set the appropriate permissions. Note: If you are making your site public, we recommend that you set the permissions to Viewer (Read Only).
- Upload your site’s files to the folder. Please name your site’s main page index.html so that visitors can easily find it.
- View your page in a Web browser. The URL for your site will be http://udrive.oit.umass.edu/netid/mywebsite/index.html. Where netid is your IT Account NetID and mywebsite is the name of the folder you created for your Web site.
Note: UDrive cannot host dynamic Web pages, such as those created in PHP.
Does UDrive scan for viruses?
UDrive does not scan files uploaded to UDrive for viruses.
To protect your computer, we strongly recommend that you download and update your anti-virus software and update your operating system on a regular basis. For more information, see the IT Security Center.