The Course Catalog includes course descriptions, listed by academic department. Because these represent the typical course offerings for a department, not all courses are described in the Catalog. If you cannot find a course description, contact the academic department for more information.
Not all courses described in the Catalog are offered every term. Some may be offered only in the Spring, others only in the Fall, and some courses may not be offered for several years. In SPIRE, you can use the Catalog to see whether a course is available for a specific term.
- In the SPIRE Menu, under Classes & Catalogs, click Search Classes/Catalogs (upper right corner). Note: If you have already logged on to SPIRE, use the Menu to navigate to Course Guides > Browse Course Catalog.
On the Browse Course Catalog page:
- In the green letter box, click the first letter of an academic department, e.g., A for Anthropology. Subject codes and names for all departments whose first letter corresponds to the one you clicked will appear on the same page.
- Click Expand All to view course descriptions for all academic departments listed.
- Navigate to the appropriate department. Click the department name or the green arrow () next to a department name to show its listings.
Under the department header, listings are organized by Course Number, starting with 100-level courses. Note: The Course Number is the same as the Catalog Number, i.e., the 3-digit number that identifies a course in the Course Catalog.
- Click a course number in the Course Nbr column or a course name in the Course Title column to view a course description. The Course Detail page opens. (The Typically Offered column is not currently used.)
On the Course Detail page for the course you selected, the Units field shows the number of credits, and the Course Components field lists the required components for this course, e.g., Lecture, Lecture and Discussion, etc.
- Click view class sections to access schedule information for this course. The Course Detail page refreshes.
- Scroll down to see the Course Schedule for this course for the current term.
- Select a term from the Term drop-down list and click show sections to see the Course Schedule for this course for a different term.
- Click Return to Browse Course Catalog to go back to the course listings for the letter you selected.
On the Course Schedule for your course:
- Note that all sections may not display at first. If there are more than 10 sections, scroll to the bottom of the list and click View All in the blue navigation bar, e.g., , to see all of the sections.
- Click the section title e.g., A-LEC (32373), to get more information about a class. The Class Detail page opens.
- On the Class Detail page for the class you selected, the Restrictions & Notes area includes enrollment restrictions and other critical information. The Units field shows the number of credits, and the Class Components field lists the required components for this class, e.g., Lecture, Lecture and Discussion, etc.
- Click Return to Browse Catalog to go back to the Course Schedule.