UMass Amherst faculty, instructors, and staff use Amazon CourseMaterials to adopt textbooks or other materials. Adoptions display in SPIRE to help students budget and to provide them with direct links to rent or purchase the materials they will need for their classes.
Students can retrieve a list of all materials selected by their instructors for the current term using the View Textbook Summary for Students feature in SPIRE.
i>Clicker users: Be careful to select the correct model to ensure compatibility with the current i>Clicker system at UMass Amherst.
- Search 1498601634 on the Amazon CourseMaterials site.
Login failure? When you have a problem logging in, the solution you need depends on what you see:
- UMass Amherst Web Login page with the message “Authentication Failed.” You did not enter your NetID and password correctly. Use the help links below the login box if you need more information.
Amazon CourseMaterials page with the message that an error occurred. You do not have access to any class sections that are currently eligible for adoptions.
- If you are a primary instructor for a class, contact your department’s Scheduling representative to verify the status of your teaching assignment.
- If you are a SPIRE B user, contact email@example.com for help with adjusting your Subject access.
Timing: SPIRE and Amazon exchange data every weekday, in the afternoon or evening. This timing means that:
- Materials you choose in Amazon will appear in SPIRE within 24 hours in most cases. SPIRE is updated with materials from Amazon between 7:00 p.m. - 8:30 p.m. each weekday.
- Instructors may have to wait to select their materials until a day or two after their Scheduling representative updates their teaching assignments, depending on the timing. Instructor information is updated in Amazon between 3:00 p.m. - 6:00 p.m. each weekday.
- Primary Instructors can adopt materials for their own class sections. Contact your department’s Scheduling representative if a class section is missing from your list in Amazon.
- SPIRE B users can adopt materials for any class offered in any subject for which they have access.
Amazon staff will be your primary support for using the Amazon CourseMaterials Tool. Questions may be directed in person, by phone, or by email:
Location: Campus Center (behind the Blue Wall)
Hours: Mon-Fri, 9 am- 9 pm, Sat-Sun, 12 pm- 6 pm
Phone: (413) 577-2665
Self-help resources are available after you log in to Amazon CourseMaterials. Click Help in the upper right corner of the Amazon page to access videos, a user guide, and Amazon’s more detailed list of FAQs.