Developed by Wolfram Research, Mathematica is a leading computational tool in Mathematics, Engineering, Computer Science, Physics, and the Social Sciences. See the Wolfram Web site for more information and be sure to check Mathematica's system requirements before downloading.
UMass Amherst /UMass Amherst IT has a contract with Wolfram Research to distribute licenses for Mathematica to faculty and staff at a significant discount.
Note: UMass Amherst graduate & undergraduate students can obtain Mathematica (Student Version) at no cost from the Wolfram Web site. For more information and instructions, see Mathematica License for Students.
The UMass Amherst price per copy is $162.00 for all platforms including UNIX Workstations and Server Modules and Nodes. Follow the instructions below to obtain a license for Mathematica:
- Complete our Registration Form (PDF, 23 KB) and return it with the appropriate payment to the Primary Site License Administrator, listed below. Then, visit the Wolfram Research Web site to set up an account, download the software, and request an activation key.
Mathematica Site License Administrators
Primary Site License Administrator
Kevin Skelly, email@example.com, LGRC A109, Mon-Fri 8:30 a.m. - 5:00 p.m.
The license period starts in August and runs through September of every year. The software is set to "time out" at the end of the license period and will not function until the next year's fee is paid and a new password is acquired. Please read the Mathematica License Agreement before purchasing the site license or installing the product.
The UMass Amherst College of Engineering pays a set fee to cover unlimited use of the product for their faculty and staff and have their own site administrator for managing their copies of the application.
The UMass Amherst site license includes:
- A significant discount: The cost of Mathematica licenses for UMass Amherst faculty and staff ($162.00 per copy) is a fraction of the standard educational price of the software, which can cost between $895.00 and $1,995.00.
- The ability to download and install the latest Mathematica software from the Wolfram Research Web site.
Note: If you encounter problems with the download process, please contact your Site Administrator. A software DVD is available, but not necessary for installation.
- One free home-use copy: Faculty and staff members who purchase a regular license may request a free home license and download a copy of Mathematica or order a DVD by following this link: Request Home Use License.
Note: UMass Amherst IT will verify your status during the request process and will only respond to requests from authorized UMass Amherst email addresses.
- A UNIX Workstation CD/DVD is available upon request.
- webMathematica Amateur: a limited number of licenses for webMathematica Amateur, for those who wish to showcase their work over the Web, are available at no additional cost. Contact your site administrator for more information on obtaining this product.
- Training Discount: UMass is eligible for additional educational and site license-specific discounts for certified Wolfram training courses. See the Wolfram course calendar for topics, places and dates. Contact your site administrator for more information on the best pricing and discounts.
- Mathematica Journal: a free online subscription to the Mathematica Journal (normal cost is $35.00). To access the Journal, go to the Premier Services page, select the Mathematica Journal link, and enter your University site license number. Electronic copies can replace your normal subscription, unless you still want a complete hard copy.