On This Page:
The Grader Report is the primary page in Moodle's gradebook to view and edit student grades for the entire class. When you add a graded activity to your course, a column is added to the report. Scores automatically appear in the Grader report when students complete activities such as a quiz, or when you enter grades from within an activity such as a Forum or Assignment. You can also enter or override scores directly in the Grader report.
Moodle provides a number of options to make it easier to find a particular student, or grade only a group of students:
- Open your Moodle course, go to the Settings block, and under Course Administration click Grades. By default, the Grader report will open.
- If you have been working in a different view of the gradebook (e.g., Gradebook Setup), to return to the Grader report, click the View tab at the top of the gradebook page.
- To the right of the column headers, click Sort ( ) to sort the Grader report by that column.
- To sort by student name, click Last name or First name in the student column.
You can also search or filter the Grader report to view grades for individual students:
- To search, type part of a student's name in the search bar at the top-left of the table and click Search.
- To filter, at the top-right of the table under Select all or one user, click the drop-down menu and select a student name. To show all students, select All users.
- To edit all grades for an individual student, click Grade in the gradebook navigation tabs. For more, see Edit Grades for Individual Students or Activities in Moodle.
To show only a particular group, or class section of students, first enable a Group mode for the Moodle course. A drop-down menu will appear allowing you to filter by group. For details, see Sort the Moodle Gradebook Using Groups.
By default, the gradebook shows up to 50 students per page. If there are more than the set number of students, the option to view additional Grader report pages appears. You can also increase or decrease the number of students shown per page.
- Click the Setup tab at the top of the page.
- From the sub-tabs select Preferences: Grader Report.
- Scroll down to General, for Students per page enter a new number
- Click Save Changes.
Moodle can generate graphs to show grade distributions for specific grade items. To view a graph in the Grader Report for an item, click Graph in the bottom row of the column for that grade item.
In order to expand & collapse columns in the gradebook, columns must first be grouped together in Categories. For directions on how to create grade categories, see Create Grade Categories.
Category views cycle through the following states:
- Aggregates only: Click the minus icon ( ) next to a category to hide the items in that category, and show the category total only.
- Grades only: Click the plus icon ( ) to show grade items, but no category total
- Full view (default): Click the brackets icon ( ) to show the category total and items