On This Page:
Questions in Moodle are organized into categories. A new course starts out with one category named "Default for [course name]." To make it easier to find questions, and to facilitate the use of random questions, organize your questions into additional categories. You can create a hierarchy of categories by creating subcategories inside parent categories. The more organized you make your question categories during the initial setup of your course, the easier it will be to reuse questions in future quizzes and exams.
- On your course page, in the Administration block, under Course administration, click Question bank. The Question bank page opens to the Default category for the course you are in, and in the Administration block, the Question bank group expands to show additional links.
- To add a new category, in the Administration block, under the newly expanded Question bank group, click Categories. The Edit categories page will open.
- On the Edit categories page, under Add category, define the new category that you want to add:
- Parent Category (Optional)
Select a Parent category for the new category. (By default the new category will be added as a sub-category of the course's default category.)
- Name (Required)
In the Name field, enter a name for the new category.
- Category info (Optional)
Enter a description for the new category in the Category info field.
- Parent Category (Optional)
- Click Add category to add the newly specified category.
- (Optional) To delete, edit, move, or indent a category, click the configuration icons next to each category listed.
You can add questions to a category by creating new questions within a category or moving questions you have already created from one category to another. You must create categories before you can populate them with questions.
To add a new question to a category:
- On your course page, in the Administration Course administration block, click Question bank. The Question bank page will open.
- Select a category from the Select a category: drop-down menu. The page will update to show you the list of questions within that category.
- From the drop down menu, click Create a new question .... The Choose a question type to add window will open.
- Select the type of question you want to add, then click Next. The Adding a Question page will open. Configure the question according to its type (see Quiz Question Types in Moodle).
To move questions from one category to another:
- On your course page, in the Administration block, under Course administration, click Question bank. The Question bank page will open.
- Select the category from the Select a category drop-down menu that contains the question or questions you want to move. The page will update to show you the list of questions within that category.
- Select the question(s) you want to move by clicking the check box to the left of the question(s).
Note: You can select/deselect all the questions in a category by selecting the checkbox at the top left of the questions table (to the left of the T).
- On the bottom of the page, in the Move to >> drop-down menu, select the category you want to move the questions to.
- Click Move to >>. The page will refresh to display the destination category with all questions in it.
- In the Administration block, under Course administration, click Question bank, then click Export. The Export questions to file page opens.
- Choose a file format (Gift, Moodle XML, or XHTML). Gift and XML can be imported to Moodle or other LMS systems. XHTML will open as a Web page in a browser, or can be opened in a word processing application such as MS Word.
- In the Export category drop-down menu, choose a question category to export from.
- Click Export questions to file.
To export an entire quiz, or question categories, see: Enhanced Quizzing software for Windows provides a more comprehensive option for backing up quizzes, moving quizzes between Moodle courses, or moving quizzes and quiz questions between Moodle and other Learning Management Systems such as Blackboard Learn.