On This Page:
When first requested, Moodle courses are hidden from students.
- If requested in advance of the semester, Moodle courses are automatically released to students one business day prior to the first day of classes.
- If requested after the release date at the beginning of the semester, Moodle courses are not automatically released and must be made available to students by the instructor.
- A few weeks after the end of the semester, Moodle courses are automatically hidden from students.
Instructors can hide courses that are not ready for use (after the automatic release date), or open courses prior to the beginning of the semester. There are two ways to release your course to students: use the Quick Settings block, or go to the Edit course settings page.
Note: We do not recommend re-opening a course after the close of the semester because it can confuse students. If you have a student working on an Incomplete you do not need to re-open a past semester's course (which would make it show in the My Courses navigation for all students who had been enrolled in the class). Rather, you can give a particular student the role of Student with Incomplete and allow them special access to the course (see Assign Roles to Individuals in your Moodle Course).
If the Quick Settings block has been added to your course, you can show or hide the course from students directly from your course page. (See Add & Remove Blocks in Moodle.)
- On your Moodle course page, in the Quick Settings block, for Course available?, select Yes or No.
Note: Editing does not need to be turned on to use this block. Also, the block is hidden from Students, and shows only for Teachers and Course Designers.
- Click Update settings.
- In the Administration Block, under Course Administration, click Edit Settings. The Edit course settings page will open.
- On the Edit course settings page, under General, for Visibility to Students, select Hide or Show.
- Click Save changes.