On This Page:
Moodle allows you to post multiple files at once in a Folder. Folders can only contain files such as PDFs, Word documents, or image files. Folders can't contain Moodle Activities (such as Quizzes, Assignments, and Forums), or Resources (such as URLs or Pages).
You can upload files to a Moodle Folder one at a time, or you can make a zip file containing several files on your computer to upload to a Folder. You can update the folder to add additional files, rename files, or move them into sub folders.
A folder on a Moodle course page looks like this:
Once opened, a folder shows a directory of files. To download a file, click the file name:
Note: You cannot use drag-and-drop a "folder" from your computer onto your Moodle course page. You must first use the Activity Chooser to add a folder, as detailed below, then you can drag-and-drop files into the upload box on the Adding a new folder page.
- On your course page, click Turn editing on.
- Locate the Section where you want the resource to appear, and click the Section title to open if it is collapsed. Then click + Add an activity or resource. The Activity chooser will open.
- In the Activity chooser, scroll down to the Resources heading and select Folder. Then click Add. The Adding a new folder page will open.
- In the Name field, provide a title for your folder (required). The name you enter will display as the link to the folder on your course page.
- In the Description field, add a brief description of the folder contents (required). To display the description on the course page, check Display description on course page.
Add files under the Content heading. The easiest way to add files is using drag-and-drop:
- Arrange your computer's windows so that you can view both the Files area in Moodle and the files on your computer.
- Drag files from your computer onto the large blue arrow in the Moodle Files area.
Note: To upload multiple files at once, hold down the CTRL key on your keyboard (Windows), or the COMMAND key (MAC) as you click each of the files you wish to upload. Then drag the files into the Files area in Moodle.
- Alternatively, you can use the File picker to browse for files on your computer.
Note: The best way to upload multiple files with the File picker is to first make them into a .zip file, then unzip the file in Moodle. For directions on zipping files, see Create a Zip File (below).
- Under the Content heading, click Add... () at top left of Files area. The File picker pop-up window will open.
- Click Upload a file (left) and then click Choose file to search for and select the file on your computer.
- Click Upload this file. The File picker window will close and the file will be listed in the Files area.
- If you have uploaded a .zip file to your folder, the next step is to unzip it. In the Files area, double-click the zip file icon. A pop-up window for the file will open. Click Unzip (at top). The original files will appear along with the zip file in the Files area.
(Click to enlarge)
(Optional) You can delete the zip file, or leave it in the folder to allow students to download all the files at once to unzip on their own computers. To delete it, click the zip file icon again and then click Delete (at top) in the pop-up window. Click OK to confirm the deletion. The pop-up window will close and the zip file will be gone.
- In the Display folder contents drop-down menu, select how folder contents should be displayed: On a separate page or Inline on a course page. Next, check whether subfolders should be expanded.
- Click Save and return to course (at-bottom) to complete the file upload process. The Folder will appear in the Section.
To upload multiple files at once using the Moodle File picker, compress the files on your computer into a zip file. A zip file is a file type where multiple files or folders are compressed into a single, smaller file with a ".zip" file extension. Uploading multiple files to Moodle as a .zip can save you time and requires less clicking.
In your computer's file browser, hold down the Control key as you click to select the folders or files you wish to compress. Right click any of the selected files. In the drop-down menu that opens, scroll to the Send To option, and select Compressed (zipped) folder. A new zip file will appear in the same directory (folder) as the files you selected. You can rename the zip file for easier identification before uploading it to Moodle.
In your computer's finder, right-click (control+click) on the folder or files and select Compress. A new zip file will appear on your computer in the same directory (folder) as the files you selected. You can rename the zip file for easier identification before uploading it to Moodle.
Files in folders are listed in alphabetical or numeric order. To make the files appear in a particular order for your students, you will need to rename the files.
One option is to add numbers in front of the file names, for example:
To rename files already in a Moodle Folder:
- On your main course page, click Turn editing on.
- Locate the folder you want to configure and click Edit (at right). The Edit drop-down menu will open.
- From the folder's Edit drop-down menu, click Edit settings. The Updating Folder window will open.
- Click the main folder first to view files within it.
- To rename a file, click the File icon. A pop-up window will open.
- In the Name field, edit the name. ?Click Update. The pop-up will close and the Files area will show the new file name.
Note: DO NOT remove or change the file extension (e.g., .pdf, or .docx). A proper file extension is required for the file to download and open for your students.
- Rename any other files and then click Save and return to course.