Use the instructions below to set up Exchange email on your iPhone, iPod Touch, or iPad. These steps apply to devices running iOS 8 or above.
ActiveSync is a mobile data synchronization protocol that synchronizes data between your device and UMass Amherst IT's Exchange server.
Note: Exchange email and calendaring are currently available to a limited number of departments on campus.
- Make sure your device is connected to a data network via cell phone service or other wireless connection type. Note: To decrease data usage on your phone plan while on campus, we recommend that you configure your iOS device to use eduroam.
- Go to Settings > Mail, Contacts, Calendars > Add Account...
- On the Add Account... screen, tap Microsoft Exchange.
- On the Exchange screen:
Note: Depending on your device, you may be prompted for all or some of the information below. Tap Next to move from one screen to the next.
- In the Email field, enter firstname.lastname@example.org where netid is your IT Account NetID, followed email@example.com. This is not necessarily your email address - netid@<domain name>.umass.edu (e.g., firstname.lastname@example.org). When sending email, your actual email address (e.g., email@example.com) will appear in the sender field.
- Older versions of iOS may require you to enter a domain in the Domain field. You might see your domain when logging in to your university computer, and it would be something like AdminFin, Advancement, Campus, RESUO, Provost, or SARIS. If you are unsure and your device requires it, try the Campus domain.
- In the Username field, enter your IT Active Directory/Exchange username. Note: This may be the same as your IT Account NetID.
- In the Password field, enter your IT Active Directory/Exchange password. Note: This may be the same as your IT Account Password.
- In the Description field, enter Exchange (or similar).
- Tap Next. If your device successfully connects to the Exchange server, you will be taken to Step 5. If it is unsuccessful, make sure you are entering your email address properly as firstname.lastname@example.org.
- You will be prompted to synchronize your Mail, Contacts, Calendars, and Reminders. Tap Save when finished. You are now ready to use your Exchange email on your iPhone, iPod Touch, or iPad.
Note: If you choose to synch your contacts or calendars and already have existing contacts or calendars on your device, you will be prompted to keep or delete them. We recommend that you keep them. They will remain separate from your Exchange contacts and calendar.
- To confirm your email has been set up correctly, open Mail and send a message to yourself. Confirm the message appears in your Inbox.