On This Page:
Log in to the UMail Post Office
The UMail Post Office allows you to manage your UMail account, regardless of how you access it (via UMail on the Web or with email software). Use the Post Office to set email forwarding, check your quota, create vacation messages, or manage the spam filters for your account.
- Go to the UMail on the Web login page.
- Click UMail Post Office on the top left. The UMail Post Office login page will open.
- Log in using your IT Account NetID and password. The Welcome to the UMail Post Office page will open.
Click Account Information to view your full name, email address, disk quota, and the amount of disk space you have left in account.
Note: Faculty and staff have 2 GB of disk space, graduate students have 1 GB, and undergraduate students have 500 MB.
Click Forward Email to set up UMail to forward all incoming messages to a different email address. This is especially useful if you have a departmental email account and want to see all your messages in one place.
Note: As an undergraduate or graduate student, you are responsible for staying current with all official University communications sent to your UMass Amherst email address. IT is not responsible for how email is delivered by external email providers.
Email Communications Policy
- Select the radio button next to Forward all my incoming email to this address:.
- Enter the desired email address in the field provided.
- Click Submit Changes. Forwarding now enabled will appear in red at the top of the screen.
Click Vacation Reply to set up a vacation message which will be automatically sent to anyone who sends you an email message while you are away. The message will inform your contacts that you are on vacation, and that you will read their messages once you return.
Note: We do not recommend that you set a Vacation Reply if your account receives a lot of spam, as this will only confirm your email address to spammers.
- Under Enable or disable the vacation reply, select Enable this vacation reply message.
- Write a vacation message in the field provided.
- Under (Optional) Specify vacation reply expiration date, enter the date of your return. Otherwise, you will have to manually disable the vacation reply when you get back.
- Under (Optional) Enter addresses to be ignored, enter any email addresses that you do not wish to receive this vacation reply.
- Click Submit Changes. Vacation Reply Enabled will appear in red at the top of the screen.
Click Spam Filtering to manage UMail's spam filtering tool. For more tips on reducing spam, see the UMail F.A.Q.
Spam filtering is activated for all IT Accounts. We do not recommend that you disable it.
Select the radio button next to the number of days after which spam will be automatically deleted.
Note: To avoid using up your quota, we recommend that you use the 1 day or 3 days option, especially if you receive a lot of spam. If you select the Never - I will delete old spam myself option, you will have to clean up your spam folder manually.
- Click Submit Changes. A confirmation message will appear in red at the top of the screen.
If spam filtering is active, you will see a spam folder in your Inbox. All incoming messages will be filtered and those identified as spam will be tagged <spam> and moved to this folder.
Note: If you previously had this service and chose to discontinue it, the spam folder with all of the tagged email will remain in your Inbox, but new incoming mail will not be filtered.