As of Fall 2013, all undergraduates use Apps at UMass Amherst for their University email.
Note: These instructions follow the version of the software noted above. For other versions, there may be some variation, but the information below should serve as a guide to get you started. To identify the version of your software, look for the About link in the software's main or Help menu.
- Make sure you are connected to the Internet.
Open Outlook 2010:
- If this is the first time you open Outlook 2010, the Account Configuration window will open automatically. Follow the prompts until you get to the Auto Account Setup screen.
- If the Account Configuration window does not open automatically, once the program has launched, go to File > Account Settings and click Add Account (at top). The Account Configuration window will open, to the Auto Account Setup screen.
- On the Auto Account Setup screen, select the radio button next to Manually configure server settings or additional server types and click Next.
- On the Choose Service screen, select Internet E-mail and click Next. The Internet E-mail Settings screen will open.
On the Internet E-mail Settings screen:
In the Your Name: field, enter your name.
Note: This will appear in the From field of your outgoing messages.
- In the E-mail Address: field, enter your UMail address (e.g., email@example.com).
- From the Account Type: drop-down menu, select IMAP.
- In the Incoming mail server: field, enter mail-?.oit.umass.edu where ? is the first letter of your IT Account NetID. For example, if your NetID starts with the letter J, enter mail-j.oit.umass.edu.
- In the Outgoing mail server (SMTP): field, enter mail-auth.oit.umass.edu.
- In the User Name: field, enter your IT Account NetID.
In the Password: field, enter your IT Account password, then clear the box next to Remember password.
Note: For security reasons, we do not recommend that you allow Outlook 2010 to remember your password.
- Click More Settings. The Internet E-mail Settings window will open.
- In the Your Name: field, enter your name.
In the Internet E-mail Settings window:
- Under the Outgoing Server tab, check My outgoing server (SMTP) Requires Authentication and make sure the radio button next to Use same settings as my incoming mail server is selected.
- Click the Advanced tab, and under Incoming server (IMAP):, from the drop-down menu next to Use the following type of encrypted connection:, select SSL. The number shown in the field above will automatically change from 143 to 993.
- Under Outgoing server (SMTP):, from the drop-down menu next to Use the following type of encrypted connection:, select SSL.
- In the field next to Outgoing server (SMTP):, change the number from 25 to 465.
- Click OK. You will return to the Add New Account window. Click Next.
- In the Add new Account window, click Next. A Test Account Settings window will open and check your settings against the server. If you chose not to save your password in step 4, above, you will be prompted for your IT Account password. Enter your password and click OK.
- If your account was configured successfully, the Test Account Settings window will display a Congratulations! message. Click Close to return to the Add New Account window.
- Your Microsoft Outlook 2010 account has now been created. Click Finish. You will return to Outlook 2010 and your email messages will be displayed. You may be prompted for your IT Account password once more.
To check your outgoing mail settings, Outlook 2010 will send a message to your UMail address. The message should appear momentarily in your Outlook 2010 Inbox.
Congratulations! Outlook is now configured to send and receive messages with your UMail account.
Now that you've finished setting up Outlook 2010 to access UMail, we suggest that you configure your software to Look up UMass Amherst Email Addresses with Outlook 2010 for Windows.